jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What kind of bird is it?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

What kind of bird is it?

We have had about six hours of thunder and rain off and on. Out in the sage brush is a bird that seems to be enjoying the coolness of the now misty rain and the sweet smell of the sage. It is happy, with a lovely song I have not heard before. It is repeated over and ove:. 5 or 6 chirps, 5 to 7 sounds like "sweet", then a long trill. What kind of bird sings like that?

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Not sure. Sage? There are many. In my garden I have six varieties in San Diego area. There are 34 different Salivia at Las Pilitas Nurseries listed as native sage for Cali. I don't mean that other than different Salivia attract different birds.

For instance I have Saliva Spathacea growing prominently also known as Hummingbird Sage. It definitely attracts humming birds. I also have Salvia clevelandii or Winifred Cleveland sage and Salvia Brandegei or Brandegees sage. Both of those attract hummingbirds and also bush tits too.

To answer your quest is to take a peek at 'What Bird.com' and use their search feature. You enter specifiers and it produces best bird choices. Those specifiers are location, size, color, beak type, and etc. You can explore the results. If not what looked at vs. result easily one may start over.

There will be a voice at each individual bird (usually) offering the song to listen to. There are typically four calls and one song while there are nonvocal sounds too like beating of their wings. Listening to birds is very intriguing and a lot of fun. When you can identify the songs it is very satisfying to recognize a bird without seeing it stuck in a tree somewhere.

My garden is at the back of my mobile home. (12' x 35') The office / study window where my desk is overlooks the garden. The garden is a native natural plant garden so attracts more specifically their visitor type contrast 'Home Depot' plants. Those are usually non-native plants.

Also, bird baths will attract many different species and uncommon ones. Using bird seed will attract the more common urban birds I have discovered, so no longer have bird feeders. Too many common wrens and sparrows. I see birds and butterfly all day long. I keep a list of those I have identified. That list has grown near 30 including two species of hawks, ravens (not crows), and once a falcon. Consider I live near mid-town too.

Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tim. I should have specified that the sage is native to Nevada, desert sage. Of course it is native to other desert areas also. Thanks for the info on ''WhatBird.com'.  I did not know that Salvia is in the sage family - interesting.

3. Blond Logic profile image97
    Blond Logicposted 2 years ago

Hi Phyllis,
    There is a wonderful website called Xeno canto. This lists birdsongs from around the world. We live in Northeastern Brazil and I use it quite often if I hear something new. It helps if you can narrow the bird down to the family.
    For example I could hear a bird at night outside our window. I knew I had to narrow it down to only birds which are active at night. Then I listened to a few nightjar recordings on the site until I found the correct one.
    Good luck with your mystery.

Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the information, Blond Logic.

4. Marie Flint profile image89
    Marie Flintposted 2 years ago

You've got a couple of leads here, Phyllis. When you figure it out, I'd appreciate reading a hub about this bird.

Have a great day and blessings!

Closed to reply