Is cypress vine a good thing to plant to attract hummingbirds?

1. Eagle Ford profile image59
    Eagle Fordposted 5 years ago

Is cypress vine a good thing to plant to attract hummingbirds?

I have seen cypress vine seeds for sale at the nursery. This plant has long trumpet shaped flowers and grows high into the trees. Is is a good nectar producing plant for hummingbirds?

2. Dr. Haddox profile image79
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

If you want to plant the cypress vine on your estate, that is, in a flower garden, to attract hummingbirds, you will get great results (as far as attracting hummingbirds), especially if you have other plants that also attract hummingbirds. I do not have cypress vines in my gardens because most of my plants are edibles. The cypress vine is poisonous, the seeds are black (approximately 4 to the pod) so you will recognize them. One must know which plants are poisonous and which ones are not, especially if children will have a run of your gardens.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

3. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Yes! Hummingbirds love the red tubular flowers that cover the delicate foliage. Cypress vine(Cardinal Flower) is a fast grower, easily started from seed. Like most things in the Morning Glory family, it is invasive and toxic. Plant it where it will get at least 6 hrs of sun and can sprawl, climb, and reseed w/o problems to nearby plants and trees.  It will reseed prolifically!

working