What's the best menu for an outdoor event? You pick the kind of event!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

What's the best menu for an outdoor event? You pick the kind of event!

Any favorite menus or dishes for outdoor entertaining?  Share your best ideas, and maybe a recipe, too!

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

The boys always like to make smores when we go camping.  I think that's more about the togetherness than the actual treat though - because those burnt marshmallows are sticky and kind of gross lol. smile BUT, I'll eat a million of them to have that special time with my family away from the phones, computers, games etc. and out in nature.

3. bearnmom profile image68
    bearnmomposted 8 years ago

Sesame Chicken, potato salad, fruit salad in a watermelon boat, fresh veggies and dip, pasta salad and any kind of cookies.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

I like to have burgers, hot dogs & sausage with multiple choices of toppings.  Pasta salad made with oil & vinegar because I like to avoid mayo outside in the sun....a variety relish tray with pickles, olives, carrot & celery sticks,&  a HUGE fresh fruit salad.  Bags of chips & pretzels and cheesey snacks!.....and of course a finger-food-style dessert!   Simple but YUMMY.....

5. B. Leekley profile image86
    B. Leekleyposted 8 years ago

Google on: fish boils Door County; and on: fish boils White Gull Inn; and on Grundy County Corn Festival (and then click Food); and on: Buckeye BBQ Fest.

Use local meats, crops and wild foods in season.

I've been to a "pie party" wedding reception in the back yard of a county home of the Michigan U.P. north woods. I was one of a bus load of Boy Scouts who stayed in the barn of a Wisconsin farm and were fed corn and melons and other garden produce by the bushel basket plus meats and deserts.

My grandparents in the Minnesota north woods used to host summertime family reunions that were  as much outdoors as indoors and included rabbit (which they raised) and corn on the cob (which they grew) roasted over charcoal, fried pan fish (which they caught), garden fresh tossed salad and hot vegetables (from their garden); wild blueberries (from the woods); beer, and more.

6. LaDonnaModerna profile image59
    LaDonnaModernaposted 8 years ago

We go on beach fishing trips and my specialty totally made up cous cous dish has become a crowd pleaser - to the point where everyone asks me to make it  every time we go haha! Cous cous is great because you can make it in bulk the day before and just bring it in a big share container for everyone to did into.
    I also like a pasta salad my mum taught me with giardiniera - a very Italian inspired picnic dish. Your question has inspired me to post more recipes big_smile
    What's your favourite Marcy?

1. Mahendra kiroula profile image60
      Mahendra kiroulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Evening Picnic: I guess finger food and cold salads. one should carry one casserole  and one chiller which is generally everyone have in car.  and lots of liquid energy. heavy food should not be consumed outdoor. do not forget to carry a miniature..

7. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 8 years ago

When doing a cookout of any description, you gotta have hot dogs, hamburgers, and grilled chicken. For side dishes, you can't go wrong with grilled potatoes, macaroni salad, baked beans, potato salad, and coleslaw. Some also enjoy chips 'n dip, with a selection of regular and barbeque chips with French onion dip and salsa to choose from. As for drinks, well, ya gotta have soda and ya gotta have beer (unless your group isn't keen on that kinda thing).

And that's how you have a cookout.

8. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

I usually make pasta salad with tri-colored pasta, carrot shavings, raw broccoli florets broken into teeny-tiny pieces, finely chopped celery and green peppers, olive slices, and grated cheddar cheese. I top it with just enough Italian dressing (and a few sprinkles of hot sauce) to bring the ingredients together. The longer it sits in the fridge before serving, the better it tastes.

When we have cookouts in the neighborhood one household provides the meat and the attendees bring a specialty dish. Although I eat meat, I usually fill up on the sides. I much prefer them over meat. Unless, of course, someone makes Buffalo wings.

I also love deviled eggs. They seem to be the first to go!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)