jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What makes only children more cosmopolitan, universalist, independent, and open

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What makes only children more cosmopolitan, universalist, independent, and open minded

in outlook and perspective than those who grow up in multichild families who tend to be more conservative, clannish, and extremely parochial in outlook and perspective?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12355891_f260.jpg

2. sockii profile image79
    sockiiposted 2 years ago

I think perhaps that only children tend to spend more time in the company of adults and are exposed to adult dialog, conversation, literature and culture at an earlier age. Just from my experience (as an only child) that was the case. From an early age my mother was taking me to museums, operas, and historical places on my own and I spent probably as much time with her adult friends and coworkers as I did with kids my own age in school.  I didn't have the "distraction" of a sibling and while I certainly played with kids toys and watched some kids' tv, those weren't the only things I was exposed to.

Only children, in general, also spend a lot more time by themselves and come to value/need that "alone time/space" to think, dream, explore individual activities. And when you read, explore and question things on your own, you're likely to develop a more expansive worldview. To be less conservative and close-minded.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Definitely, only children DO spend more time with adults.  They mature very early and assume adult behaviors, outlook, and vocabulary.  They also have more outside companionship through activities which they meet a variety of people.

3. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12454469_f260.jpg

Only children grow up in an adult environment.  Their main companions are their parents.  As a result of associating with their parents, they develop an advanced outlook and vocabulary that children in multichild families do not develop.  They also participate in cultural and intellectual activities which they meet a wider variety of children.  They are more likely to reach out to other children as companions, even family.  They are also more intellectually attuned -by reading books they are exposed to different worlds and cultures.  They are encouraged to be individualists and to think outside the societal box so to speak.  They are more exclusive and do not see outsiders as strangers not to be trusted. 

Children with siblings by contrast are more insular and parochial in outlook and perspective.  They are also more clannish and less distrustful of outsiders.  They have a me vs us mentality.  They tend to stick among themselves which makes them more conservative, narrow minded, and very insular.  Children with siblings do not have much friends as they were inculcated by their families that friends are not important.  They mainly socialize with each other and not with other children unless in school which give them a very narrow perspective in terms of outlook.  In multichild families, intellectual and cultural activities are not stressed as much. As a result of being constantly with siblings and not being much exposed to outside environment unless it is absolutely necessary, children with siblings tend to be more inclusive and less universalist in their philosophy and perspective.

working