Why do so many highly intelligent, even prodigiously intelligent people with exc

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Why do so many highly intelligent, even prodigiously intelligent people with excellent

educations and with every conceivable opportunity and advantages don't succeed up to their intellectual, educational, and socioeconomic level?   There are those who are blessed with intelligence, education, and privileges yet they fail to live up to their utmost human potential.  They complain that they are unlucky in terms of success, even blaming outside circumstances for their lack of success but never venturing to take responsibility nor accountability for their lack of success.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8105077_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Awesome question , And this IS exactly the entire  issue with our culture that constantly slams the system itself for not providing the  instant situational success that we all want .   It's as if  most have gone through the motions of education , [continued } and still lack the motivational drive to succeed !  I mean " I am smart , why then aren't I rich .

Capitalism has never been  an all for one and  one for all successful playground  where everyone HAS the end result of success - riches ,   it's only the playground  FOR the opportunity to expend exceptional  amounts of either intellectual -economic drive , entrepreneurial  inspirations , a continuation of  money lines  or  a level playing ground for the  grassroots of the American dream .
    There's far more envy  OF  financial success than success itself today .

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

WOW, All I can say is WOW.  What a PROFOUND answer indeed!

3. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 8 years ago

A jack of all trades will rarely find an occupation that will require the use of all his skills. Apart from that, an employer or organization will not find it worthwhile expanding operations to accommodate all the talent that Jack possesses.

So Jack will have to often sidestep into different environments to exercise his other abilities.

However, for Jack, there may be a one-in-a-million chance of finding an opening that will require the application of all the skills that he possesses. When, where, and how, is the question.

By virtue of its statistical definition alone that chance stands parallel to winning a lottery! So LUCK is involved after all. LUCK does play a vital role. Being in the right place at the right time does not happen at all if your luck is lousy!

Whatever the case may be, there is one option that Jack, if still luckless can try. Although in this age it will not be practical at all, Jack can start free lancing ... like the late ... and great ... LEONARDO DA VINCI!

4. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

I sort of believe I am one of the people you are talking about. I have a high IQ, 2 college degrees, trade licensing, and yet I have become, well, not much of anything. Guess why I haven't succeeded in living up to my potential? ME!! I lack focus, drive, and the ability to commit to anything long term. All of that is my fault. Likely the many others like me are the same.
    With that said EVERYTHING we do in life, we do because of something. Personally my childhood played a part in determining who I would become. Like it or not we ARE shaped by everything in our life. So while we may all be responsible for our own actions it doesn't mean that we make those decisions without any interference from built in reactions caused by our circumstances.
    I'd like to think there are two types of people who don't succeed in life. The first type has the ability to succeed and simply screws up or makes poor decisions along the way. (I think I fall into the first type). The second type likely never were meant to succeed at a higher level and often feel entitled to success, leading to them blaming others. Not everyone in this world is meant to be rich, famous, or hugely successful at everything they do. That doesn't make them in any way beneath the group that does succeed as long as they are capable of seeing their own faults, which even the successful have. JMO

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

Sometimes privileges and advantages negate an individual's drive and ambition. Hunger is a driving force for many people that overcame obstacles to succeed. This may explain why it's rare that a second generation rich person surpasses the accomplishments and achievements of the first generation that created the initial wealth.
    It's unlikely that the children of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs will surpass their fathers' contributions to the world or come close to amassing the same wealth on their own. Most children of privilege are content to live off of their trust funds.
    With regard to the highly intelligent people without privilege who do well in academic but fail to garner much economic success I believe it has lot to do with personality and persuasion skills.
    Success in business is all about creating enough value where people want to give you money for your skills, time, talent, product, or services. This requires marketing and sales ability along with some risk taking and a little bit of luck.
    A lot of high academic achievers don't place much value on having "social skills or networking". In fact many of them see it as being a waste of time especially if the other people aren't "on their level".
    Entrepreneurs tend to be "risk takers and go getters" while academic achievers want people to (come to them) out of recognition of their  achievements. Many of them are introverted and have a difficult time walking into a room of strangers and introducing themselves to make acquaintances. While some people may see them as snobs many of them however simply are afraid of rejection or looking foolish.
    While it's not important that everyone likes you to succeed it is important that enough of the "right people" do like you. In America it's not unusual for many employees to believe they are "smarter" than their bosses.
    One old adage is: "If you're so smart how come you're not rich?"
    Maybe super intelligent people are "too smart" to believe in chasing unrealistic dreams. If you can't {imagine} it you can't have it.

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Second best answer, sorry!

6. Evane profile image63
    Evaneposted 8 years ago

I think it is because of their own self. They have attitude problem, usually.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)