jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

"Sex education should be taught in elementary schools" do you agree?

1. Fatema Begum profile image60
    Fatema Begumposted 2 years ago

"Sex education should be taught in elementary schools" do you agree?

2. chuckandus6 profile image74
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

I disagree although society is pushing kids way to fast to grow up, I am for letting them be kids and not to be having sex talk shoved at them,rather talk to parents when they need to.

3. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

I remember learning about reproductive stuff and puberty in elementary school and I think that's appropriate, but the actual sex stuff, like STDs and contraception, is probably best left until junior high (here that's grade seven, approximately 12-13 year olds).

I don't think sex education is there to encourage kids to grow up faster or shove sex in their faces. Open conversation about sex is proven to increase sexual responsibility resulting in better choices overall. Unfortunately, parents aren't always the most objective, comfortable, or knowledgeable people when it comes to the subject, so I think it's a great idea to teach it in schools.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

you mean primary 1-6? I was taught of female and male organs when i was primary 5, Only started to know at secondary levels. Kids are too young to expose to sex education below 12

5. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

Given I'm not in the US, I'm not entirely sure what years of age Elementary school covers - so I'll answer it in several ways.

If younger (eg under 10), yes, it should be - BUT in order to keep themselves safe from predators, unwanted advances, etc. So basic safety stuff, get them to know about their bodies, and what is right and wrong about touching or being touched etc.

Older - OF COURSE. It's not going to make them go out and have sex. But when they do, they'll at least be safe. Cause, one day, they're gonna be having sex, whether we like it or not.

6. profile image0
    Kevin Goodwinposted 2 years ago

Kids no longer have to learn in a classroom bout sex education, they can find whatever they want on the web.

1. Aime F profile image83
      Aime Fposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You could say that about anything. It doesn't mean they know what to look for or how to know if the information they're reading is reliable.

working