World views on sex education...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I would like to know some of your views on sex education.  In the US, we have abstinence based sexual education.  What is it like in the rest of the world?  I am interested in writing a hub about worldwide variations of sexual education in schools.  How many people feel that children should save their sex questions for their parents?

1. Pamda Man profile image58
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. goodfriendiam profile image60
      goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a very difficult question to answer. See I am from the US, and while they may teach abstinence, on the one hand, they are also passing out condoms. This contradicts itself. Personally, I think that, it can be both, the schools give the basics, and parents give the more depth answers they may have. Because there are some children that either, have absentminded parents or parents that aren't comfortable at all, discussing these things. As for 5 and 6 year olds I don't think so.

Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree about the age.  5 years old is way too young.  I meant the class that we use to have in highschool.  Also, I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Texas it is illegal to pass out condoms to a minor.  I worked for a non-profit org. that handed out free condoms, but we were not allowed to give them to minors.

1. Kmadhav profile image61
          Kmadhavposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Giving these kind of things to the age of 5 or 6 is too early and not right. Yes giving proper education at the age of 15 or 17 is right. I am from india sex education is needed in this country. Moreover this is the place where it kamasutra originates. There is a ancient history of kamasutra in india.

But untill our young generation lacking in these things because of right and proper knowledge. Sex education is the need of hour.

3. Pamda Man profile image58
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sexual education is very much needed in Africa.

4. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes its good coming from parents - if there is a very close relationship b/w them. Otherwise, it's ok coming from someone else.  The important thing is that the children are aware of the important issues concerning Sex.

2. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

In the UK (or at least where I'm from) our sex education was pretty good. We were taught the very basics (I think) when we were about 10, more as a kind of 'girl stuff' talk, but then given proper sex ed when we were 15 and then again at about 17. I think it was different in other schools in my area, but my experiences were all good with it. I think it is important to be taught by someone who knows what they are talking about rather than a parent who is more likely to go down the 'don't have sex ever' path and not give you all the information.

I have heard on the news fairly recently that they are talking about giving it to kids at like 5 or 6. I think that is ridiculous!

1. getpaidtopost profile image40
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I heard this too, I think the basics and consequences should be taught as early as possible. but not sure if 5 or 6 year old will grasp the ideas fully.

3. soni2006 profile image78
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I have expressed my view on sex education via my hub many months back. Here it is:  http://hubpages.com/hub/sex-education-in-schools

1. Kmadhav profile image61
      Kmadhavposted 14 years agoin reply to this

right and true facts about this sex education.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

There was no sex in USSR. Period. lol God knows how we managed to conceive, prolly all girls were Marys.

Russia is changing, and they started to teach basic things like reproductive organs and proper use of condoms in some schools. I don't think there is a state policy on this, but I may be mistaken cause I don't have kids of school age there.

I personally would think it is more of a parents' job. smile

5. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I don't have kids, so maybe my views will change when I do, but I would rather see kids being given condoms younger, even if it gives them the idea to experiment, than for them to decide to have sex without them because they can't get hold of them.

We couldn't legally hand out condoms, so at events, we would put them in a bowl or just leave them lying on a table.  If we turned our backs, they would be gone.  I don't believe young people are going to have sex just because they have condoms.  I hope that they will use them if they are having sex, though.

1. goodfriendiam profile image60

Kids are going to have sex whether they have a condemn or not. But my point is, you don't tell, 9th graders and up, that, they should sustain from sex until your married, but just in case you do here's a condemn. Personally, I would like my children to think for themselves, if they choose to have sex, then yes use a condemn. I hope they won't until they are old enough to understand the consequence of there actions though.

1. Colebabie profile image60
          Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While abstinence only education is not effective implementing abstinence as an option is. If you don't mention it, it puts pressure on the students to limit their options. Our program goes over abstinence, the definition and how it can change from person to person, how it is effective, why it works, how to stick with it. Explain it is the only 100% effective method to protect against STIs and unwanted pregnancy. But it is just a part of the program. So yes, at the end condoms are made available in case it is not the method one chooses. So abstinence shouldn't be the basis for a program, but it should be mentioned and discussed.

1. goodfriendiam profile image60

exactly smile

6. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Davina you already know my stand smile My department gives out over 30,000 condoms a semester. For a campus of about 18,000, its approximated that 30-40% of which are not having sex. Point being, if they aren't having sex in high school, they probably will be in college. So the more they know before they leave the nest, the better. Leave it up to parents, and the students are screwed. Many, obviously not all, parents find it to be an embarrassing subject to discuss. So just let the schools teach it, they're just telling the facts, no opinions in place, so let 'em. They gotta learn something before they get to my class! Please!

7. Penandpaperaddict profile image60
    Penandpaperaddictposted 14 years ago

im from sweden, and as far as i can remember the first good sex ed we got was in high school, about std's n all that, before that it was more about feelings n stuff which doesnt really teach kids anything about sex... but i dunno, maybe i went to a weird school, hehe... i think there should be good sex ed in school from a pretty early age, maybe like 13? I had a very sheltered upbringing so im not really sure what age kids start thinking about sex.. but the schools cant assume that kids will talk to their parents or that the parents will talk to their kids. i think its good to have someone outside the family that the kids can turn to about these things.

I agree and I believe that is the problem with schools in the US.  It is not that sex ed. is so taboo, its just that parents are taking for granted that it is education, not solicitation.  Teenage Syphillis is on the rise here, and it is due to lack of education.  At least, that is what I believe.  Lack of education doesn't make teens less permiscuous.

2. Kya profile image60
      Kyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

13? Kids in Germany told me they were "playing sex", without exactly knowing what this is, at the age of 7. If we want them to be able to make informed choices we (parents) need to educate them that early, of course in easy and non-scary words, and make them aware of unwanted consequences.

1. Jairus_090 profile image57
        Jairus_090posted 14 years agoin reply to this

will all of you guys have a point but the best way to educate and value those people especially those kids is we must enlighten them first those a good deeds and habits that can reflect them a better person and as a better individual,Then teach them what is the purpose of having a sex.We must guide them that sex is not just for play.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)