jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What makes some religionists fearful of differing spiritual and ethical perspect

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What makes some religionists fearful of differing spiritual and ethical perspectives & philosophies?

Why must they constantly must have others subscribe to their particular religious perspectives & philosophies?  Are they mature and logical enough to realize that each person has a right to his/her religious, spiritual, and/or ethical perspectives & philosophies?   It seems that some religionists are not mature nor logical enough to accept/realize that each person has a different outlook as far as religious, spiritual, and/or ethical matters go.  No one believes alike.

2. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

That's pretty obvious, isn't it? They fear being WRONG! If another person or religion has validity, it makes their own version have some sort of flaw in it. That is unacceptable to people who think dogmatically.
    Take for instance the idea that the Christian bible is the ONLY book with a "moral" code that is correct. So, how would that explain that Hindus, Atheists, and any other religions have morally good people? And the FACT that people had moral codes long before the bible was even written - either version!
    Some people simply cannot accept investing their time, effort, and beliefs in a set of books/laws that may be flawed. Therefore, they must INSIST that their version is the only correct version.
    These people are stubborn, narrow-minded, and unable to see the forest for the trees. They are simply frozen.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They are also insecure regarding their beliefs.  They are not really authentic believers.  They believe because their parents and ancestors believe.  They have no true independent thought and the thought of the latter sends them into histrionics.

3. profile image83
    Hxprofposted 2 years ago

I'm not sure about religionists....as for me, I don't care what someone else believes.  I make no effort to change their beliefs.  If asked questions or challenged, I answer if I choose.