What is the importance of baptism in Christianity?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image53
    Canucks goalposted 8 years ago

What is the importance of baptism in Christianity?

2. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 8 years ago

I don't think it's "important" in the sense of "If you're a Christian, you HAVE to do it!", but it's a symbol. It's a public celebration of the person's decision to "wash away" his old life and choosing to follow Jesus.

1. profile image50
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"REPENT" (Acts 2:38)!

3. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

The importance is that it is how you become a Christian.  It is your proclamation to the world that you have given yourself over to Christ.  It's a way of saying that you are born again and cleansed of all of your sins.  Theif is right--you have to do it.

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sure, I was baptized. I was told it was something I had to do. It's a public dunking while someone says some magic words over you. Ha! What a crock. One of the reasons I choose to ignore Christianity these days. So, no, u don't have to do it.

2. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You do have to do it.  But then you have to practice Christianity, or it means nothing.

3. Rich kelley profile image60
      Rich kelleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Amen
      1John 1:7  but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
      The forgiveness is IF we walk in the light, no walk no cleanses.

4. Thief12 profile image90
      Thief12posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just a correction. I never said "you have to do it". On the contrary. Although baptism might be an important event to a Christian due to its symbolism, I don't consider it neither necessary nor obligatory. Just wanted to clarify my comment.

5. profile image50

I never thought I'd agree with Austin but if baptized according to Matt 28:19, it was just a "public dunking!"  Went down a dry devil & came up a wet one because it's not IAW Scripture (Acts 2:38)!

6. profile image50

I can see the author of this Q is SATAN who does not want TRUTH (Jn 8:44)!

4. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 8 years ago

Act 8:36-39  And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?" And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing.

The above scriptures show a couple of things. The question about there was water and why not baptize happened because Philip had explained scripture and the eunuch knew that once you believe the next thing to do (as Jesus did at the start of His ministry) is be baptized. There was water, no one knows how much so the doctrine of fully submerged vs sprinkling is nothing but an argument between religious people. I'll say if you believe you should be baptized as soon as you can. I also believe it is not a public celebrations like is done in church buildings. The only people that knew about the encounter between Philip and the eunuch were those that were there. Nothing was planned. Classes were not attended for "x" amount of weeks. Numbers were not reported to the boss. Certificates were not issued. You don't become boasting rights for the leaders.

The baptism that John (the Baptist) did, which is what the water baptism is, was a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sin. This is a hard thing today with the "Jesus loves me just the way I am" crowd. Jesus preached repentance as well. Jesus loved enough to provide a way for the sinner to be forgiven. That way is repentance and your sins will be forgiven. No repentance no forgiveness. All the water in the world matters not if there is no repentance.

The importance is that with out the baptism of repentance which leads to the forgiveness of sin you are not part of the Kingdom of God. There are no sinners in the Kingdom of God.

Now Could you repent, receive forgiveness and be part of the Kingdom of God without the water baptism I don't know, I'd suppose so. I know John the Baptist started it, and Jesus follow through with it and later the disciples water baptized new believers so I'd rather follow their example (being a disciple of Christ) and not worry about what might be a "technical" aspect of something.

1. profile image50

Rich: Since we r disciples, aren't we supposes to "OBSERVE" the disciples? If so, why MOST aren't baptized as WORD says for "repentance" as Acts 2:38? Nicene Council get u again?

2. profile image50

U FOOL!  Gal 3:1!

5. SpiritusShepherd profile image60
    SpiritusShepherdposted 8 years ago

Christ our Lord says in the last chapter of Matthew, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:19-20 ESV). Paul refers to baptism as burial and resurrection with Christ, not in poetic terms, but in reality (Romans 6). In Titus, Paul says "[God] saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit," (Titus 3:5 ESV) Peter says, "Baptism now saves you." (1 Peter 3:21).

Baptism is not a work we do to please God (see the aforementioned Titus verse). Without God, Baptism is just plain water. But the water included with God's Word in Baptism is a washing of regeneration. It is a means by which God surely and certainly gives promises of salvation, as the Word of God declares in the aforementioned verses.

When I doubt my faith, salvation, inner strivings, or efforts to be like God, sometimes I wonder if I am saved. But I was washed, and therefore sanctified and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. I can point to my baptism and say that God promised to save me at that font, and He has not lied.

Many Christians, believe that Baptism is a work we do to show our dedication to God. I can't really find what verses they cite for that, because I have yet to find a single Bible verse that describes Baptism in this way. Baptism is not our work, but God's. It's a way that He gives us a tangible promise that He will be with us always, even to the end of the age.

1. profile image50

U FOOL!
      Can u find ONE PLACE the disciples did as commanded in Matthew 28:19-20?
      Why? BECAUSE the Nicene Council FOOLED u as MOST!

2. profile image50

U FOOL!
      Why didn't disciples do as commanded in Matt 28:19-20?
      Nicene Council FOOLED u too?

6. profile image50
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

NONE!  According to responses here!

Even author does not believe WORD!

Everyone just "go alone with "teachings," headed straight for HELL vs "STUDYING" (II Timothy 2:15)!

Matthew 7:13-14!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)