jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Do you feel all Foreign people in the US must learn English, or does it bother y

1. bluesradio profile image74
    bluesradioposted 2 years ago

Do you feel all Foreign people in the US must learn English, or does it bother you when folks say so

2. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

They should, since English the official language.  They need it to communicate throughout the world.  It does not bother me at all.  People should learn it if they come here.  If I were to move to Italy, I would have to learn Italian.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, helllooooo, this is America and the official language is English.  Yes, anyone who immigrates to America permanently should learn English.  This is totally self-explanatory!

2. bluesradio profile image74
      bluesradioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem with people speaking their native tongue, and no I don't believe that they are automatically talking about me...SMILE...

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly enough, did you know that legally the United States actually has no official language? And that English is just the most common language?

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12204066_f260.jpg

It is quite elementary in its premise.  Of course, people who immigrate permanently to the United States must learn English.  Those who refuse to learn English are at an economic disadvantage, especially in the dominant culture where there is the most business & economic opportunities.   If one immigrates to the United States permanently & refuse to learn English but elect to use his/her native language, h/she will be segregated in his/her cultural milieu where there are less business & other economic opportunities.   Also, if h/she has children, the children will be at a disadvantage, especially academically.   Yes, keep one's native culture & language but also learn English.

1. bluesradio profile image74

Yes I do believe in people honoring their own culture as well...Too often people don't do that part of it...

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

If I went to a foreign country, I would try to learn their language. I even try to learn Spanish, as I live in S Ca.
    Why are they here, if they don't want to learn English, it is to their benefit to learn it?

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

After the pre-teen years the brain has already cemented in how language works and that makes it very difficult for some adults and older children to actually learn new languages.

2. bluesradio profile image74

I know I was a teen who had a hard time in schol with either French or Spanish.  Many other countries begin teaching multiple languages at a early age...

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean that you can't or shouldn't even try?

5. SpiritusShepherd profile image60
    SpiritusShepherdposted 2 years ago

I do believe those who come to the United States should learn English. I also think everyone in the United States should learn at least one other Language. In Europe most learn to speak 4 or 5 languages and this allows them to travel all over Europe and elsewhere without encountering  language barriers. Also there are many languages that are similar to one other and so while communication might not be perfect in some areas, most will understand with the assistance of hand gestures.

6. profile image88
    Mills Pposted 2 years ago

English should be a language used in the US, though I will not go as far as to assert it should be the only one. We may all be different here, yet we do need some common ground.

working