Do you feel all Foreign people in the US must learn English, or does it bother y

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. bluesradio profile image58
    bluesradioposted 8 years ago

Do you feel all Foreign people in the US must learn English, or does it bother you when folks say so

2. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

They should, since English the official language.  They need it to communicate throughout the world.  It does not bother me at all.  People should learn it if they come here.  If I were to move to Italy, I would have to learn Italian.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, helllooooo, this is America and the official language is English.  Yes, anyone who immigrates to America permanently should learn English.  This is totally self-explanatory!

2. bluesradio profile image58
      bluesradioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem with people speaking their native tongue, and no I don't believe that they are automatically talking about me...SMILE...

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image69
      Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly enough, did you know that legally the United States actually has no official language? And that English is just the most common language?

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12204066_f260.jpg

It is quite elementary in its premise.  Of course, people who immigrate permanently to the United States must learn English.  Those who refuse to learn English are at an economic disadvantage, especially in the dominant culture where there is the most business & economic opportunities.   If one immigrates to the United States permanently & refuse to learn English but elect to use his/her native language, h/she will be segregated in his/her cultural milieu where there are less business & other economic opportunities.   Also, if h/she has children, the children will be at a disadvantage, especially academically.   Yes, keep one's native culture & language but also learn English.

1. bluesradio profile image58

Yes I do believe in people honoring their own culture as well...Too often people don't do that part of it...

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

If I went to a foreign country, I would try to learn their language. I even try to learn Spanish, as I live in S Ca.
    Why are they here, if they don't want to learn English, it is to their benefit to learn it?

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image69
      Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

After the pre-teen years the brain has already cemented in how language works and that makes it very difficult for some adults and older children to actually learn new languages.

2. bluesradio profile image58

I know I was a teen who had a hard time in schol with either French or Spanish.  Many other countries begin teaching multiple languages at a early age...

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean that you can't or shouldn't even try?

5. SpiritusShepherd profile image59
    SpiritusShepherdposted 8 years ago

I do believe those who come to the United States should learn English. I also think everyone in the United States should learn at least one other Language. In Europe most learn to speak 4 or 5 languages and this allows them to travel all over Europe and elsewhere without encountering  language barriers. Also there are many languages that are similar to one other and so while communication might not be perfect in some areas, most will understand with the assistance of hand gestures.

6. profile image60
    Mills Pposted 8 years ago

English should be a language used in the US, though I will not go as far as to assert it should be the only one. We may all be different here, yet we do need some common ground.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)