jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Why has Stephen Hawking just predicted science will destroy the planet?

1. Oztinato profile image72
    Oztinatoposted 2 years ago

Why has Stephen Hawking just predicted science will destroy the planet?

Hawking has just clearly blamed science for the inevitable future destruction of the world. He hasn't blamed religion. Is this because science has provided the weapons and the pollution? Why would such an eminent scientist blame science in this catastrophic way?

2. Discordzrocks profile image82
    Discordzrocksposted 2 years ago

Because he is strange and knows things we dont. Bum Bum Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1. Oztinato profile image72
      Oztinatoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

(In jerry lewis voice) I agree Mr science poisen..with the hey and the herr and the hoi....

3. VerityPrice profile image93
    VerityPriceposted 2 years ago

He isn't blaming science, he didn't say "Stop teaching science because the Order of Science is amassing its minions and spreading its agenda."

He used science to show that humans are going to destroy the planet.
    He used nuclear war and global warming as proof of this. Yes these are technically both results of advancing technology due to scientific progress, but they are more due to the attitude of human beings towards this planet.

Hawking also explicitly blamed the "careless hubris of the ruling elites and their tendency to act in favor of profit". Here he is talking about the corporate fat-cats that will slap 'eco-friendly' on a package despite that fact that it's been flown in from China, where it was made by 8 year old orphans.

If you think of Science as a tool, he didn't blame the tool: he blamed the people using them. For example, you wouldn't blame a hammer for knocking a hole in your wall, you would blame the person who swung it. A lot of scientists (like Stephen Hawking) are theoretical scientists. That means that they discover new things, they do not get to decide how their discoveries are used.

I think that Stephen feels as though once upon a time science used to be purely about knowledge and advancing quality of life, but now huge corporations will pay a team of researchers more money than the opposition to not publish data. Instead of being for the benefit of the whole of mankind, scientific advancements are being used primarily by the highest bidder.

You can't blame science for this. You can't blame scientists for this. You have to blame the people who sit on top of the ladder and do everything in their power tot make sure that the system never changes.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's referred to as Scientism, this dogmatic belief that science can produce nothing morally wrong; and it's a disease to humanity.

2. Oztinato profile image72
      Oztinatoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Michaela
      I agree. There is an arrogant presumption that science is infallible.

4. LoliHey profile image55
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

Stephen Hawking needs Jesus Christ more than ever.  I pray he come to know the Lord.

1. Discordzrocks profile image82
      Discordzrocksposted 2 years agoin reply to this

me to
      signed, zoidberg

Closed to reply

working