Who is considered the most intelligent living person in the world ?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (33 posts)
  1. cruelkindness profile image64
    cruelkindnessposted 11 years ago

Who is considered the most intelligent living person in the world ?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6607424_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I'm sure it would be highly debated but I would say Steven Hawking or Michio Kaku.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Depending on the source, Marilyn vos Savant had the highest IQ in the Guiness World Book until they retired the category.

4. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

I don't know the answer to the question, but, no disrespect, I'll bet that the person "considered" the most intelligent isn't the "actual" most-intelligent person. The most-intelligent person would probably have better things to do than to be tested or voted on. (I vote Stephen Hawking.)

1. nisargmehta profile image69
      nisargmehtaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!!!

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

P.S. I also vote Stephen Pinker as the second, or at least in any list of the top 5. (Sorry, Mr. P., forgot your name earlier.)

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

Stephen Hawking.  He is totally paralyzed, yet has an intellect that is beyond the comprehension of the average person.

1. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

He is a very inspiring person.

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

He makes me feel small.  That's a testament to his perseverance.

6. daFuj profile image61
    daFujposted 11 years ago

Bill Gates.  He knew how to make money and he knows how to use money.  He has the intelligence to know that money (though he has kaboodles of it) is not the most important thing in the world.

7. profile image0
    Gusserposted 11 years ago

My hand is going up. I may not be the smartest man ever BUT I'll due until he is born. ;-)

1. Michele Travis profile image66
      Michele Travisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

me too smile Well woman...

2. profile image0
      Gusserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The smartest two, just answered the same question

3. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the laugh Gusser.

4. Laura Schneider profile image84

Laughing out loud at you two! Great answers!

5. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

akchuly, I is the most intelijent purson in de world!

8. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 11 years ago

Interesting question. I think it depends on who you are asking. Personally, I don't think intelligence has much to do with one's level of formal education or how many theories on how the universe came to be one has had published in the scientific media. Capacity to learn must be tempered with common sense and compassion to be a lasting and worthwhile quality.

9. ibbarkingmad profile image60
    ibbarkingmadposted 11 years ago

Intelligence is relative. According to Howard Gardner and his Theory of Multiple Intelligences any person can be the "most intelligent" so long as they are fulfilling a productive role within society. Each person contributes to society as a whole. One could argue that the worlds richest people are the most intelligence. Or that the most musically talented or artistically talented  are the most intelligence. If we were to ask the question on who the most intelligent when it comes to theoretical physics, I was agree with others in saying Stephen Hawking.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent, conclusive, and insightful answer.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84

I agree with gmwilliams--great answer!!

10. nisargmehta profile image69
    nisargmehtaposted 11 years ago

If this is dependent upon the research work done by some particular human being then it must be Stephan Hawking or Sir Albert Einstein. In case if its independent all the human beings have the same brain structures except special ones. In such case human kind by itself is intelligent but its awful that most of us are so much distracted to other so called attractions offered by different kinds of media that we have lost our path and most of us stay aimless. As history speaks by itself most of the great minds of their time were often left out or were all on their own during the crucial time of their research which helped them in having full focus on what they were looking for.

For example Sir Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Sir Issac Newton etc. We can go through their biography for the same and I stand Correct.

Hence Human Kind In Itself, Except The Special Ones, Is Intelligent If Distractions Are Taken Away From Him.

Thank You For The Question. smile

1. Laura Schneider profile image84

That is such an intelligent and intriguing path you went down... Let me keep going. If "The Special Ones" take the popular attention off of the equally smart ones, they can flourish in virtual anonymity and achieve great things. Watson and Crick, ex.

2. nisargmehta profile image69
      nisargmehtaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Undoubtedly! If I am weak at Econimics and strong at Math, and my attention is drawn towards my weakness, I will definitely be left out; and vice-versa. Same goes for the special ones, if we can extract their potential and area of interest. [Smiles]

11. tom hellert profile image60
    tom hellertposted 11 years ago

the man that listens before speaking.
    the man who thinks before speaking.is polite yet can silence opposition with only a few words.   
    He speaks softly but carrys weight with his words .
    he can talk about many things yet knows when to remain silent.
    he is polite bot rude.
    Honest but not brash.proud but does not brag.
    je is smart but you may never know it.
    he is witty, and funny but not a clown.

If i should ever meet him i'll tell him your looking for him...
    TH

12. Dr. Haddox profile image61
    Dr. Haddoxposted 11 years ago

It is my belief that the most intelligent living person in the world has not been singled out. He or she is working somewhere in a lab or in the field or functioning as a member of a U.S. Seal team somewhere. I have worked with some very intelligent people, in the lab, doing Bone Marrow Transplantation research, or on medical teams in the many hospitals that I have worked in. I, being a doctor myself was considered fairly bright, but I have worked with other doctor, men and women whom I considered smarter that I.
    To answer your question, off the top of my head and using my own feeling about it, I consider Stephen Hawking the most intelligent person I can think of, off hand. There is another person, a lady named Marilyn vos Savant that's fairly bright. I would position her after Hawking based on my own judgement.
    As I said, above earlier in my response, I believe there is someone out there that has not been discovered yet that deserve this honor.
    Great question, cruelkindness. Best regards, Dr. Haddox

Dr. Haddox, I believe that it doesn't take the super-smart to inspire others, including the super-smart. Hawking (ex.) has inspired EVERYONE who knows his name to aim for greater things. This is why it takes all kinds of minds for greatness to occur.

13. SportsBetter profile image62
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

I thought I was myself.. but then again it could have been the Annuaki

14. Missing Link profile image69
    Missing Linkposted 11 years ago

there is no answer of course per a single individual, a janitor or gardener can be the smartest person you have ever met, someone with 12 PHDs can be utterly clueless, we often confuse educational level or level of monetary wealth with intelligence

15. sarahcherbert profile image60
    sarahcherbertposted 11 years ago

Well, which ever figure is closest to the Universe or God; the Pope, Dalia Lama, etc. This is definitely a subjective question with many answers. People like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Einstein, Franklin, any visionaries who have helped to craft the world we live in today could also be deemed as the most intelligent. On another note, philosophers and writers such as Kurt Vonnegut, Thoreau, Mark Twain, Hemingway; those guys are all pretty smart too! A true smart person would make others think rather than taking all the thoughts smile Good question!

I LOVE your line, "A true smart person would make others think"! That is so true of all of the super-smart people I have met. The truly super-smart may live and die almost anonymously yet inspire millions unwittingly! Stephen Pinker, for example.

16. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I'd go with Stephen Hawking. It's definitely not me. I put my socks in the microwave once.

17. Gareth Pritchard profile image75
    Gareth Pritchardposted 10 years ago

I have heard Noam Chomsky being introduced on more than one occasion as being the worlds foremost intellectual, if that counts as intelligence, if it doesn't try this below: 

"Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, logician, historian, political critic, and activist." Wikipedia

"world's top public intellectual" in a 2005 poll. Wikipedia

He is a very impressive human being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky

Thanks.

18. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12690232_f260.jpg

Marilyn vos Savant whose IQ is determined to b at 228.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)