What effect does taking a Mcjob have on the self-esteem of those who are highly

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What effect does taking a Mcjob have on the self-esteem of those who are highly educated & are

above such jobs?  Besides, what valuable skills, if any at all, can a person with a Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate Degree gain from taking such Mcjobs?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12700287_f260.jpg

2. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 2 years ago

Valuable skills that a college degree does not give you: Humility which can not be taught. It can only really be learned when put in a situation which forced you to acknowledge it.

Hands on customer service service. No I don't mean handling a phone call of an unhappy person or knowing how to say the right words to land a sale. I mean real hands on customer service. The kind you learn when you deal with the average and often ignorant high and mighty customer.

True team work. Not the kind you get in an office working together to finish a draft of something. The type of teamwork a person learns in fast food is fast paced. You are only as valuable as your weakest employee and you all have to work together to get out food in less than 5 minutes. True team work is often found in blue collar and below jobs.

No one is above any job regardless of education. There is ALWAYS something new to learn no matter how educated or intelligent a person is.  Can it be an ego bust? Of course. We are trained to think certain things are below us, and sometimes they are, but this takes me back to my first point. Anyone who thinks they are too good for a McJob, especially if they are unemployed, needs a lesson in humility.
    I have 2 college degrees and a couple different licenses that required me to go back to school. I found times when I was unemployed that I had to (what felt like) lower myself for jobs in order to pay the bills. I guarantee there were things I learned that college didn't teach me! One of those things was my self esteem was not attached to my location of work, but how well I did the job.

1. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer.  Perfectly stated!

2. Annsalo profile image85
      Annsaloposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Paula!

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

It is only "bad" for you if you see it as a step down. It can be good if you see it as better than being unemployed, or as a way to retain the dignity of paying your bills while you look for a job you've actually trained for.

A-MEN!

4. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

I have two university degrees and just recently left a minimum wage retail job that I LOVED.  No, it made no significant use of my studies and I actually worked with a few people that were still in high school, and a few other people who were retired, but I never considered myself "above" the position.  I learned a lot from the people I worked with, I think everyone has something to offer if you're willing to listen.  I also loved working with a team again (I was either a full-time, unemployed student or working solo from home for the past 8 years). 

My province is going through a huge recession right now and unemployment is the highest it's been in 20 years.  But my minimum wage retail job was the first job I applied for after moving and I was hired the day of the interview.  It was SO easy to find work.  And there are "hiring" signs all over the place - at restaurants, fast food places, retail stores.  But of course people DO think they're too good for those jobs so they still complain about a lack of opportunities.  I'm not sure how sitting at home unemployed is a better use of skills or education than working a job that's outside of your comfort zone.

I have massive respect for anyone who works at McDonald's or Walmart or whatever other jobs people look down on, because hey, I'm sure they know that.  I'm sure they themselves probably looked down on it once, too.  But they're working to support their family, or to stay in the workforce, or to save money for school so they *can* get a Masters degree or a PhD, and the list goes on....

Good for them for being realistic and not sitting around feeling sorry for themselves for not finding exactly what they're looking for and doing something else until they do.  I think that's a very positive character trait and I hope they see that in themselves, too, instead of it affecting their self-esteem negatively.

Great!  Very well said, Aime!

5. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

As far as I know, the last time someone offered to pay their mortgage with "self-esteem," the bank wasn't amused.  WHO can say with a straight face that they are "above" a job, any job, if they are UNEMPLOYED, have a family, bills & enjoy eating once a day?

A decent, legal job is ABOVE collecting welfare checks as one sits on their butt, or worse, choosing an illegal activity to make money. 

IMHO, the higher the degree, the MORE someone can learn by taking "such jobs," as you call them.  I must say I find Annsalo's answer BRILLIANT as well as beautifully said.  I agree with her completely, so it's not necessary for me to reiterate what she said so perfectly.

I do recall many years ago, as I was "busting butt," so to speak, before finishing school, meeting a woman my same age working right beside me. This woman had at one time, a very high-paying administrative position with influence and respectability (or so she thought.)  When this mega company went bankrupt & down the tubes, obviously so did her job & her influence.  Unfortunately, she was charged along with everyone else in this company with book-cooking, fraud & few other unpleasant charges. 
    The "waitress" job she worked alongside myself was how she was paying her massive legal bills.  In other words, she had NO choice than to take that "lowly" job.  Need I repeat the term, "Humility?"

Last Chapter?  I went out to dinner to that same restaurant about 10 years after I'd worked there.  You guessed it.  That woman was still working there & had been promoted to Manager.  She was happy & her life was back in order, with her priorities quite healthy!
    I didn't have to ask her what she "learned."

6. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

When I left school way back in the early 1950s I assumed I was fairly well educated at a technical college: Math, English, Physics, Geometry, Chemistry et cetera.   When I went for my first job I was asked, "Can you ride a push-bike?  Yes?  Good, you have the job."  (I'd become a messenger boy)

Many a school leavers have high hopes of a great job, only to find themselves sweeping the floor or making the tea.   Nothing wrong with this.  But many of those same people go on to become managers, leaders, captains of industry.   It is in having experienced the mundane, lower-paid, unskilled work that one learns to appreciate what one has worked up to and obtained.   If you start at the bottom there's only one direction you can go.   

I left school early.  But by developing a habit of Life-long-learning, landed, over my  years of paid employment, some very interesting and quite prestigious jobs.  And sure, I dropped in pay and prestige from time to time as one career ended and I started another.  That is life.

Certainly a stint at Mcjob isn't going to do anyone any harm - rather, the opposite.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)