jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Which size cup would you pick?

1. ptosis profile image76
    ptosisposted 21 months ago

Which size cup would you pick?

Imagine your favorite beverage  in one of the following coffee cups. If you don't like coffee then imagine your favorite beverage. Picture in your mind's eye your favorite drink and choose which size you would like. Short (8 fl. oz.), Tall (12 fl. oz.), Grande (16 fl. oz.), Venti® Hot (20 fl. oz.), Venti® Cold (24 fl. oz.) and Trenta®* Cold (30 fl. oz.). I am doing a study on Choice Architecture and would like to have as many answers as possible. There are no wrong answers. Please answer what size and why. Thank you very much for taking the time to answering this question. smile

2. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 21 months ago

Sounds like a noble project. Good luck.

Venti -- I want as much as I can get but it has to fit in my cup holder.

ptosisposted 21 months agoin reply to this

thanks for the answer.smile

3. WordCrafter09 profile image77
    WordCrafter09posted 21 months ago

It depends on whether I'm with somebody else or not, and it also depends on how long I want to keep keep the drink going if I'm not going to be with someone else.  Also, convenience of transporting it can be factors.

Generally, I'd go with the 12 oz, which is kind of a standard size for hot coffee, and which means that  if I'm with someone they'll most likely be getting that size too.  That means, too, that one person isn't waiting for the other person to finish some giant cup of coffee.  Also, hot coffee or tea either stay hot (which means having to worry more about spilling a hot drink when walking or driving); or else huge drinks get cold (and aren't as good when they do).

If the cold drink is iced tea I tend to prefer 16 oz. 12 oz is good for other drinks that have a lot of ice in them.  Other than that, I lean toward 8 oz (and in some cases, I'd rather have a 6 oz cup) for "heavier" and/or carbonated beverages.  I pretty much only drink iced tea outside when 'm hot, which is why I like the giant cup with lots of ice.  I get other cold drinks (orange juice, soda maybe) for meal-related reasons and don't particularly want more than 8 oz at the most (and if that).

Coffee and tea are the only hot drinks I get, but if I were going to be alone and wanted to have the coffee or tea with me as I did something like work, then I'd go for, maybe, 20 oz.  The bad thing about that, though, is sometimes the cup is a little riskier/difficult to handle.  Also, there's more to spill (on, say, one's keyboard).

Although 12 oz is my standard for hot, and 16 is good for iced tea; I pretty much base my choices on "depending on the situation" and "depending on why I'm getting a drink in the first place".

That's a HUGE answer! thank you!

4. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 21 months ago

Sharing is I know only at Starbucks Tall, Grande, and Venti. I do both simp and drink in different settings. So, from those I generally get a Venti. I sip my choice - quad Venti mocha, over a span of an hour or more. The only time I get a Tall or Grande is I have to kill a short bit of time and there is outlet in foyer or near where the appointment is. I tend to drink rather than sip. I find it comforting in an unfamiliar setting.

thank you for your answer!