jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you agree that coffee tastes better in a certain kind of cup?

1. rutley profile image75
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

Do you agree that coffee tastes better in a certain kind of cup?

Plastic, paper or metal just don't cut it!

2. internpete profile image91
    internpeteposted 5 years ago

I have never really thought about this, but I do enjoy a normal coffee cup more than other types, such as glass, paper or whatever. I don't mind paper that much tho, since it is used fairly often at coffee shops. Interesting question.

3. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 5 years ago

I don't think so but my husband does. He will only use a particular cup and does not like the ceramic ones.

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

As a bona-fide "coffee snob,"  YES!   No plastic, no paper, no styrofoam, no metal...........Please..    and Thank you!   I do not go to the extremes to buy the very best and freshest coffee beans, grind them myself, per pot, use filtered water, organic filters and brew with care.......pure creamer.....to then destroy my masterpiece in the WRONG cup!!

5. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 5 years ago

Well, everything tastes funny when you drink it from metal cups. And for hot beverages, paper cups lined with food-grade wax will slightly disintegrate, giving you small amounts of paper and wax in your drink.  I think plastic and ceramic cups are the best for drinking anything hot such as coffee.

6. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

I have a couple of special cups that I use to drink my coffee, one handmade stoneware and the other is just a painted design that I love.  It just makes me feel comfortable and relaxed as I sip my drink.

7. lhchan profile image65
    lhchanposted 5 years ago

Yes, I agree. I will use the special cup when I drink coffee.

8. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

I drink coffee throughout everyday.  I think about the relevance of the cup, as I reach for one of an identical set of glazed, porcelain cups that I reserve for coffee.  I use cream and sugar in my coffee.  The precise amount is important.  The cups I use allow the perfect amount of hot coffee from the pot to add the precise combination of cream and sugar that satisfies my addiction.  The perfect cup holds the quantity I drink at the ideal temperature.  I find the porcelain construction of this set of coffee cups adds to the unadulterated purity of the coffee drinking experience.  The handle on this specific set is just the right size and set for ease, convenience and dexterity.  Even the white color and the simple black stenciled numbers (chosen by the buyer) offer aesthetic appeal that does not compete with the color of the coffee.  In short, rutley, I agree that my coffee  tastes better in my favorite cup.

9. Sue St. Clair profile image73
    Sue St. Clairposted 5 years ago

What kind of cup you drink your coffee from is not only one of the early decisions you make each day, it is also a vitally important decision.  To coffee drinkers, it matters what kind of cup and which specific cup you drink from. read more

10. kallini2010 profile image82
    kallini2010posted 5 years ago

I don't think it's the cup that changes the taste of coffee, but it's the emotion that the cup evokes.

If I don't like the cup - well, I don't like the cup and I don't want to drink coffee from it.

It's all in perception.  Once I pretended to be in rage and smashed one of the cups that did not even belong to me - but later I regretted it (maybe because I am an angry or aggressive type).

I would choose a cup and make it as a present and then end up using it myself for years.

My tastes in cup design are very consistent, but my mother likes to change them every so often.  My father probably could not care less, but the important thing is to have coffee fill the cup almost to the rim (and then he spills it, of course!, carrying it to his desk).  I guess leaving a reasonable room before reaching the room would spoil his senses.

I think it is the sense of beauty we are talking about.  If you went hungry for 30 days and had no coffee whatsoever, not a drop in sight, then maybe you would not care as much about the cup.

Aesthetics is a luxury and aren't we lucky that we have this problem of selecting what to drink from?

I think it's an excellent question!

I even feel poetic inspiration to write about my cup of coffee!!!

11. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

It probably does. What I don't understand are these HUGE cups that the French in French movies drink coffee out of. What's that all about? Wouldn't your coffee get cold fast in these HUGE cups that are almost the size of cereal bowls?

12. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

in my mug. I hate those tiny see through cups, too hot to handle. Mugs are ceramic made, gives the umph taste

working