jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is religion the poor & uneducated person's psychology/psychiatry? Why?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 18 months ago

Is religion the poor & uneducated person's psychology/psychiatry? Why?

While educated & affluent people see psychologists/psychiatrists when problems arise, the uneducated & poor resort to religion as a solution to their problems.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8994851_f260.jpg

2. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 18 months ago

This essay is in response to a question posed by fellow "hubber," gmwilliams: Is religion the poor & uneducated person's psychology/psychiatry? Why? read more

3. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 18 months ago

That's an interesting observation except it is not true. There are plenty of educated person who believes in a higher power and use prayer and attend church to help them through rough times. I do think a person's political views does influence them on this. Liberals and progressives more likely will go to a psychiatrist while Conservatives tends to rely on family and church for support. This has little to do with there education level.

4. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 18 months ago

This is another of your broad stroke observations that I don't agree with. I've known people who were both educated and affluent, educated and not so affluent, and occasionally educated but poor and the concept of going to the church, any church, to help solve your problems, while annoying, is not something dependent upon their situation. I've known people who were very devout and had no problem going to psychologists/psychiatrist. I don't think the two are related except that the poor individual may not be able to afford the psychologists/psychiatrist and the desire to talk out a problem would drive them to contact a minister with the belief that a minister would maintain the person's privacy.

5. PhoenixV profile image68
    PhoenixVposted 18 months ago

Because it works: subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found. CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention. http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs … 61.12.2303

6. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 18 months ago

I am both educated and well-off and I believe.

working