jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What does "40 Vestal Virgins" refer to?

1. Natalie Frank profile image97
    Natalie Frankposted 16 months ago

What does "40 Vestal Virgins" refer to?

I know that the equivalent for Muslim martyrs is allegedly 72 virgins waiting for them in heaven and that vestal virgins serve for 30 year usually ending when they are 40.  But I've always heard the term 40 Vestal Virgins and can't find a reference for it anywhere.  My character is supposed to make a joke which doesn't work without the term but if it doesn't exist I don't want him sounding like an idiot.  Thanks.

2. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 16 months ago

I was watching one of the news channels a few weeks ago and there was a Muslim woman on there that was talking about the Muslim religion and the Quran and some of the interpretations of the meanings. When it came to the 72 virgins she explained that the "real" interpretation is that they will actual receive "72 raisins" if they give their lives for their beliefs. How true it is I don't know, but it was from a Muslim woman and it was very funny.
    Imagine getting there after dying and getting a handful of raisins.

1. Natalie Frank profile image97
      Natalie Frankposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Yes I saw that yesterday.  I figured it was a jest of some sort. So no idea on the 40 vestal virgins huh?  I'm finding 6 and have no idea where I heard the phrase or what it referred to.  Thanks for the reply.

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 16 months ago

I found a reference to the use of the term and probably its origin. I looked in screenplays where writers exaggerate everything and it's accepted as truth rather than entertainment. I'm including the link to the site and the reference is in the second comment and response. 

http://eves-reel-life.blogspot.com/2012 … tales.html

So your characters joke could work, especially if its about exaggeration.

working