jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

If transhumanism really takes off, what do you think will then give us meaning i

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 14 months ago

If transhumanism really takes off, what do you think will then give us meaning in life?

2. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 14 months ago

To my understanding this "movement" is at the most about a decade old. To me that is really funny. I was born in the '50's and I can not at all remember when this notion was not well accepted by people.
    It seems the group now espousing it is trying to codify it as though it has a logic that excludes certain free thought. However long ago it happened the folks we refer to as Quakers had the opposite idea. You cannot have an obvious counter culture unless something is generally considered part of culture.
    I am quite sure that aqueducts, sextons and metallurgy were advances in technology to help give more free time to better society. You get into folks like Mendel and Pasteur and Edison and you realize that considering this new wave of thought "new and improved" is just silly. The Wright brothers and Ford would chuckle.
    I wonder why they had me take "shop", science and chemistry in school.
    The question of whether or not this "takes off" was probably answered about 4,000 years ago. (or did we re-invent the wheel?)

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months ago

Sorry, I don't know anything about this question. Meaning in life is up to the individual.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 14 months ago

Science is a way of understanding the mechanics of the universe but it cannot give us meaning - that is the province of theology and philosophy.
    For example, climate science can help us estimate future climate but it can't tell us if it is better or worse to use trillions to lift people out of poverty and adapt to the changing world or try to hold the climate stable.

1. tamarawilhite profile image92
      tamarawilhiteposted 14 months agoin reply to this

And for a look at the transhuman future, read my hub "A Post-Singularity Story".