jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How do I figure out the hybridization of a particular atom in a molecule?

1. melbel profile image96
    melbelposted 12 months ago

How do I figure out the hybridization of a particular atom in a molecule?

I've learned about the VSEPR theory and I'm trying to apply it to Lewis structures. My homework is asking me to provide the hybridization of the central atom in each Lewis structure that I've drawn. How do I figure this out?

2. Jeremy Gill profile image95
    Jeremy Gillposted 10 months ago

Hi Melanie!

I'm a chemistry minor, and I hate to say it, but this isn't a beginner's concept, and I feel like it'd take me more than once text post to adequately explain hybridization. I certainly don't mind discussing it further, but seeing as you asked this six weeks ago, it may be too little too late haha. Nevertheless, feel free, and perhaps your professor or textbook can also help.

1. melbel profile image96
      melbelposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Hello, Jeremy. This is a question I asked from my Gen chemistry class several years ago. (I'm a chemistry major.) I moved this question to HubPages for earning reasons, hehe.

2. Jeremy Gill profile image95
      Jeremy Gillposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Dang, sounds like our General Chemistry classes were a little different haha. Lewis structures for sure, but hybridization came later.

I just managed an A in Organic, which I'm pretty happy with. Really hoping I can net a good research job soon!

working