jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Why did it take 30 years longer to put wheels on our suitcases than to put a man

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 months ago

Why did it take 30 years longer to put wheels on our suitcases than to put a man on the moon?

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 months ago

It didn't.

Man on the moon: 1969.

First wheeled suitcase: 1970.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 months ago

Seriously?  How'd it take me so long to find them?  You've renewed my faith in Yankee Ingenuity!

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
      Kathleen Cochranposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Darned if you aren't right, Lisa!  Googled it: Sadow applied for a U.S. patent in 1970, and in 1972, he was granted the first successful patent on wheeled suitcases. Macy's sold the first suitcases in October 1970.
      Stable version came out in 1980.

2. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Kinda with you on discovery. I saw my first wheeled suitcase in 1989, a huge near-trunk sized case, and wished I had one instead of wagging around two average bags and a carryon on a trip to Russia.

4. peoplepower73 profile image93
    peoplepower73posted 9 months ago

I believe when it is time to invent the light bulb, it will be invented, not by just one person, but by more than one.  If the Wright brothers had not produced the airplane, the French were right behind them with a controllable aircraft. 

I don't know if there is such a thing as universal mind.  They say "necessity is the mother of invention."  I say laziness can be the mother of invention as well, hence wheels on a suitcase.

working