When should crying children be taken from the building?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Jeremy Gill profile image92
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

When should crying children be taken from the building?

I grew up with many young children, so I understand it's not easy for the parents and family to handle rowdy kids. That said, I recently attended a wedding where a baby was wailing right as the bride entered. Rather than remove the baby, the parent simply tried to quiet them to no avail, and I doubt the bride was thrilled about the situation.

It'd stink to miss that part of the wedding, sure, but that's the risk you take when you bring young children to these events. Thoughts?

2. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 6 years ago

Remove immediately !!! Respect others sensibilities

Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but many people try to calm it down first, which usually just doesn't work. On the other side, glaring at the parents doesn't help matters either, and it's to nice to give them a pass too. Just not at weddings.

3. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

If the child cannot be calmed down within a minute or two, it is best to take them outside. If they have hurt themselves, it should be right away. It depends upon the situation and if the caretaker has anything to soothe the baby with like a bottle or toy.

Great minds think alike. At a formal event like a wedding, I'd remove them if they don't quiet within seconds; at most public places, I'd allow a bit more time before etiquette says they should be set aside and calmed.

4. poppyr profile image92
    poppyrposted 6 years ago

Definitely take the baby out... sure, it sucks for the mother to miss the wedding, but it sucks more for the bride! How embarassing. I love children, but not at events or on planes lol.

Definitely, that shouldn't be allowed to happen at a one-time event like a wedding or funeral. That said, society can be a little harsh on parents when it comes to less-formal situations, such as planes or Sunday church.

5. NessMovieReviews profile image84
    NessMovieReviewsposted 6 years ago

I have two toddlers right now. Common sense is required as are manners. Be it restaurant, wedding or movie at the cinema - my finace and myself have always exited the scene. How horrible to marr someones special day with a crying baby. I took my first born to a friends wedding ceremony, he didnt cry but he wouldnt sit on the seat. No one really noticed but had he been disruptive in any way, I would have hightailed it away. People, both particiapnts and guests spend wads if cash to present at weddings. Same with restaurants. Remove...

I agree, especially with one-time events like weddings. With places such as restaurants, I'm more lenient, but if a crying child can't be quieted within a minute or so, it'd definitely be polite to remove them until they calm down.

6. profile image52
    chaidragonfireposted 6 years ago

Depending on the situation and location, will depend on the timing..........

Situations and locations like formal parties, meetings, or gatherings, like a wedding, means loud kids of any kind should be removed IMMEDIATELY from the area to be dealt with.   And they should be taken out of hearing range of the others.

Situations and locations like shops, stores, and other public places  - 30 seconds is a time frame to calm them down or distract them from being loud or obnoxious.  If it cannot be done in that time frame, then they need to be removed from the area to be dealt with.  Again, out of hearing range of the others.

Places like restaurants that are NOT geared for children - again, should be immediately removed and taken out of hearing range.  I know sometimes removing them from hearing range can be difficult, but nobody wants to hear a screaming kid when trying to eat. 

What I've seen in the past 25 years or so, is 99% of parents do not teach their kids manners, public manners, respect for others, consideration for others, or acting civilized in public places.
    And contrary to what most people think, toddlers CAN be reasoned with and taught these things.
    Sometimes it might take some professional instruction to do so, but it can be done.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)