jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Why is it important to know other languages and cultures?

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 4 months ago

Why is it important to know other languages and cultures?

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 months ago

in order to use it when you are working and educating your kids, know more languages, able to communicate efficiently

threekeysposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Different languages breathe different perspectives into your world with their  nuances or frame of reference. I had always wished to be highly travelled or live in a European country where different culture and languages were close by.

3. The0NatureBoy profile image51
    The0NatureBoyposted 4 months ago

With a working knowledge of other cultures and languages one will not be easily fooled by the teachings of the only language one knows. By engraving other languages and cultures into oneself we are able to see just how "dumping down" one's culture is doing to their citizens like it is done here in the USA. Take...

The greek work "philosophy" which is a combination of "philo" meaning love or lover and "sophy" meaning wisdom, would that combination mean "lover of wisdom" and be the person rather than what the person speaks?

The word "woman" as written in the bible suggests somehow come out of man and the only word I know beginning with "wo" suggesting coming out of is "woven".

The word "human" is like woman in meaning something done to man so I have believed it came from some other religion believing it is something come out of man, thus, I see it as "hewed out of man" although the spelling suggests "hue of man" which would also suggest complete because hue is less than the complete color. 

Those are just three examples of how one is "dumb down" by using terms from another culture and language.

threekeysposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Yes, I rememebr when I got "it" that our country does not warm to thinking people. They'd rather you love sports and stay fuddled minded in being high. I say, if you want to get high, then don't have jobs where you make decisions on behalf of others.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image51
      The0NatureBoyposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Understanding and wisdom causes the highest high one can ever obtain, little do people know because we are conditioned to think only the approved half of things which takes away the ability to become truly high. True that our country detest thinkers.

working