Is humanity heading in the right direction or in the wrong direction?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 6 years ago

Please explain your yes or no response. Many thanks.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I believe that humanity is heading in the right direction. However, things may get worse before they get better.

The Internet revolution has brought a growing awareness of the "truth" by exposing the past and present evils and stupidity/ignorance of humanity. The key is education, the knowledge of facts. Almost every individual today has the opportunity to educate him/her self by learning from past and current mistakes.

Public opinion is now emerging as a leading force for change. I believe that even though much work has yet to be done by keen activists and individuals' behavior, generally the public is made up of good people and they will prevail in the long run. The good majority is on a winning trail.

2. vineliner57 profile image90
      vineliner57posted 6 years agoin reply to this

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13941725.png

1. profile image0
        threekeysposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How adorable. Luv it!

3. The0NatureBoy profile image55
      The0NatureBoyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There is only one direction for Humanity since it goes in a circle of learning and forgetting unceasingly forever. The thing I don't know, I have considered both, is if we are mingled together as learners and forgetters on earth or if learning is like morning's [time of light] hours and forgetting like evening's [time of dark] hours. I am leaning more to the latter but am still not sure.

Thus, my answer is IT GOES AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO.

1. profile image0

Okay, okay...
        I dont understand why you are getting upset.
        All is well Elijah

1. The0NatureBoy profile image55

Not upset, Charmaine, emphasizing there is only one direction and that is around in a circle of learning and forgetting.

All is well.

1. profile image0

Okay!smile

4. lovetherain profile image78
      lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Both.

Destruction of the environment, the breakup of traditional families, legalized abortions, rampant materialialism, reliance on technology, the wrong direction

Civil rights, the right direction

1. profile image0

I can relate well to what you have pointed out lovetherain

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I oftentimes believe we see what we want to see.
      Also there's some truth to the old adage: "Ignorance is bliss."

There has never been a time in human history that didn't contain atrocities, various forms of slavery, rapes, wars, genocides, famine, racism, sexism, and religious disputes. The only things that have changed is we now have 24 hour news channels and the Internet to show it and new tools/weapons.

Whatever period in time we decide to call the "good ole days" there are bound to be groups of people who legitimately can tell you why that time in history was not "good" for them or another group of people.

The reason why we tend to believe the past was better is because we already survived and lived through it. The future is always "uncertain" and that naturally causes us to have anxiety. We also hat to see "changes" that erase how we have always lived. We spend more time looking at "problems" and less time reading about what is being done to find "solutions".  We also ignore statistics such as an increase in life expectancy, cures for various diseases that didn't exist before and so on.

The news media makes it's money from advertising dollars.
      Therefore their goal is invest much of their time on stories that shock and scare us or cause us to {worry} rather than give equal time to feel good stories. News about bad and evil things sell more newspapers, magazines, generate more Internet clicks, and garner higher TV and radio ratings.

24 hour cable news channels replay horrific stories several times a day. Naturally watching and listening negativity causes us to become negative and cynical about the state of the world. We ignore the fact that things are fine in our own home, in our own neighborhood, or town.

The reality is on any given day most the 7 billion people on the planet simply went to work, school, or took vacation. The job of the news organization is to find the "exceptions" to grab our attention.

It's a challenge to choose to be "informed" and yet keep our perspective.
      Most of us don't have the time to {look for the positive things going on.}
      While the negative (flows freely) into our homes and through social media.
      It's imperative we give ourselves mental breaks and enjoy life.

Life is a (personal) journey.
      Whatever is going on in one part of the world or in someone's life there will be others who are having the "best day" of their life.
      Right now someone may be laying on the beach staring out turquoise waters sipping on cocktails and enjoying life. Although we all live on the same planet we're not all having the same life experiences.
      Life is what we make it.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13944935.jpg

1. profile image0

I agree how our perceptions or conclusions can colour our views but gees....

One thing I need to do is to REDUCE (and become unsesre/ignorant/living in a potential bliss bubble) the amount of 24 hr news entering the homefront. That would be a huge start.

2. profile image0

I love your positivity and enthusiasm! I tell you if one was feeling half glass empty, one would be ready to be topped up after reading comment. Thankyou for that injection of hope Sue!

3. holliesandhealth profile image80
    holliesandhealthposted 6 years ago

It depends. Politics is getting worst, but I believe people are getting more knowledgeable and empathetic.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

Humanity is a belligerent species hell-bent on bringing about its own destruction sooner rather than later.

5. blueheron profile image91
    blueheronposted 6 years ago

We are a part of nature, like kittens and songbirds--and snakes and sharks. As with our fellow travelers here on earth, we are not "going" in a "direction," in the sense that you probably mean.

Biological life is in a constant stage of change in ways that may or may not be "improvements" from a human standpoint. The changes can be adaptations, or they can be the result of accidents. There is no "better" (or "worse") in an absolute sense.

Biological "success" is simply survival and successful procreation. Things that may help: big teeth, a big brain, the ability to run fast and jump high. Things that may not help: big teeth, a big brain, the ability to run fast and jump high. Many species thus endowed have gone extinct; some have had a pretty good run.

6. Lew Marcrum profile image87
    Lew Marcrumposted 6 years ago

You are absolutely right.  Humans were a branch of the animal kingdom that was very poorly adapted, thus "not meant" to survive.  Another of nature's many experiments, big, obvious, soft-bodied, no fur or feathers, no fangs or claws,the natural defenses of an earthworm, can't run, can't climb and probably the favorite food of many ancient predators.  The ONLY attribute that saved mankind as a species is his ability to reason and invent ways to overcome his natural shortcomings.  Paleontologists claim that more than 99% of all species that have ever lived are now extinct , so all have a finite life span.  Man has been around maybe 4 to 5 million years, while some very successful species lived hundreds of millions of years, but all eventually die out, as will we. 

Humans are naturally belligerent, selfish and greedy.  All the "Seven Deadly Sins" eventually hark back to greed and selfishness.  A very wise man once said, "Mankind is the only species with the intelligence to destroy the world, and the temperament to do it."

That intelligence, Lew, is the one things designed to keep humanity from knowing until we have completed our "blindly learning" every attribute of every specie of beings earth is composed of. Once 10% of humans learns it and become man the system changes from a material world into a spiritual one where another 10% learns and both are replaced by that many absolutely ignorant life-forces evolving into the first earthen specie which pushes that many up the "life-force's evolutionary latter" until they become human who must complete a "blind learning" of human attributes in order to become man (god) and ascended masters.

7. profile image0

This is a perspective I hadnt entertained blueheron.
    The biological progression is more of a selection process of what works to make that plant animal or mineral  be able to cope and stay alive. That would include serendipitious events that could lead to advantagious adaptations.
    Thankyou.

8. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Circles. As to whether those circles are spiraling up or down, I have no idea.

1. profile image0

Huh??

9. profile image0

Elijah, is the afterlife/religion your life? Like this physical life is said goodbye to, and you live waiting for the aftetlife?
    I know when all is gone or all has felt to have been gone, only misery and suffering is left. This too is expressed by the Buddhists.
    There maybe an after life like there could be many life forms coexisting with us but we just havent found the way/system to detect them as yet. Who knows.
    I understand how important faith and hope are. Ive tried denouncing faith and hope but the world is too dark and too mundane

Charmaine,
      Allow me to use the tadpole to from metamorphosis as a metaphor and see where it goes.

Human/woman are tadpoles required to (tadpoles, live in water) make thing to sustain themselves but has to go through a morphing to live in both water (man, materially) and on land (man, environmentally). That is the Bible's short message as I understand it via my experiences.

Most civilizations accepts reincarnation as a fact and most religions accepts "reaping and sowing" for Christianity and "karma" for most others. The message behind reaping and sowing is "whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap" and translates to "everything anyone does to another will be or have been done to them." How can I a boy who raped a girl in this life die without getting raped be the recipient of feeling how the girl I raped felt? I have to incarnate in the very body she was in having gone through all of her experiences to know everything relative to what made her feel the way she did about it, is the answer. In turn, she has to incarnate in my very body and experience everything I had experienced prior to doing the raping in order to know my exact feelings that caused me to do it.  Accordingly, we do not remember no other events until we both complete our morphing into man and all of our life experiences as matter, microbes, plants and all animated life types are brought to our remembrances.

So, in answering "Elijah, is the afterlife/religion your life" I must say unquestionably YES. What I'm working on now is getting all of the abilities I experienced as those other life-types incorporated in this body to make me have "dominion" over earth and everything hereon.

I have no misery nor do I suffer because I realize such terms means I reject what happens to me while I see these experiences as important as the things considered fun, thus, I endure whatever happens for comprehending the various conditions possible to man.

For me, "faith" is "the process of proving unseen beliefs with experienced evidence and substence" and that is what my life became somewhere between September and October 1973 and have no regrets for my life since. One song says "understanding is the best thing in the world" and I have proven that to be true as well as "knowing as long as I freely endure what life throws at me I will come to understand everything thee is to know about life. Hope, on the other hand, is a prayer for another to achieve what it is they desire.

Aloha,

1. profile image0

Yes...to keep on" enduring what life throws at you" is to learn and understand. But sometimes enough is enough.
        I have now grown to dislike that glib saying what doesnt break you makes you stronger. Why do we have to be strong all the time?? No thanks there are times we need to rest.
        So Elijah I wish you well with your tests of endurance. (and I understand sometimes you are forced to endure. You dont always choose to endure)
        Aloha

There is your problem, Charmaine, being so dependent on judgmental adjectives shooed you away from being an endurer.

Yes, in Louisiana I was arrested over 30 times spending more than 2,600 days incarcerated, winters between 1985 and 2002, most of the time without being allowed to exercise because of not wearing shoes as "spirit" had directed me to, so I have been forced to endure and my destiny has me enduring being in one place even now rather than the nomad I prefer.

Aloha

1. profile image0

Enduring...

10. Jessie L Watson profile image66
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

You've got some high-caliber questions. I'll need to marinate on this for a bit.

11. Daniel Mollat profile image68
    Daniel Mollatposted 6 years ago

If we subscribe (which some of us probably do) to Gloria’s philosophy about where hell is in the article “Where is Hell? New Thinking Will Surprise You” then humanity is not heading in any direction. It is where it is and for the reasons Gloria states in the article. That article can be found here in HubPages.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to guess that article says it is here in our present reality. For each of us, varying degrees of it are applied. But towards and in the end, it is done to all of us equally.

12. Jessie L Watson profile image66
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

I think we are living in a time of extreme chaos, however, things can still go very well for everyone if we're all careful. There are so many good things going on in the world right now, it's almost miraculous. Between the year 2000 and 2012, the level of absolute poverty in the world was cut by 50%. That was the fastest rate of improvement by a large margin in human history.

-Hundreds of thousands of people a week are being pulled into the electrical power grid.

-Almost everyone has access to nearly infinite computational power with all the educational resources that come along with that.

-We're wiping out most transmissible diseases.

-The fastest growing economies in the world are in sub-Saharan Africa.

-There's no more starvation in China.

So, God only knows what else we might accomplish over the next 10-20 years if everyone got their act together. We're playing very foolish games in the West. Shenanigans that affect the entire world. Time to grow up.

A remarkable young man has figured out a way to clean up most of the ocean's garbage within a 5 year period and is on his way to implementing that with success. Be one of these people if you don't like what you see in the world. Get obsessed with a problem and fix it.

1. profile image0

This is a uplifting post Jesie. I am VERY happy that someone has worked how to solve all our rubbish put into the oceans and cruelly killing off our marine life. That is so good.
      A City in South Africa is said to be totally out of water this year. We  need desalination plants and we need the ocean for that. To then resupply the ocean ? I dont know where we go from there.

13. profile image0

Daniel please forgive me but could you just mention the essence of where Gloria was coming from so I can get an understanding of where you are coming from

1. Daniel Mollat profile image68
      Daniel Mollatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Now that you mention it I'm not really sure I understood the essence of this thread. I thought perhaps it was somehow related to the article about our life here on earth which was the subject of Gloria's thinking.

14. Harishprasad profile image71
    Harishprasadposted 6 years ago

Definitely in the wrong direction !  Different kinds of pollution , weapons of mass destructions,  wars, intolerance in the name of races and religion , and  materialistic attitude , all point toward the imminent self destruction. We imagine of robots ruling over the human race , but we ourselves have perfectly arranged everything for our own annihilation , not bothering  robots.

15. profile image0

Harishprasaad, say there were a race of people living on another planet how then do you think they would say about us humans, as a race? Do you think they would leave us be or annihiliate us?

1. Harishprasad profile image71
      Harishprasadposted 6 years agoin reply to this

They would, in all probability , not appreciate us after the great damage that we 've done to this beautiful planet. Rather, they would reprimand and compel us  to either restore the prestine beauty of the earth or be prepared to leave it for good to another remote planet as punishment. God forbid, annihilation could be one of the options.

That is why everything happens in cycles. This civilization with our present developments are at the end of this civilization and some 90% of man will discarnate for a new beginning or another type so earth can restore itself to what it was before this material civilization came into being. That reduction of man will be done by earth's human.

1. Harishprasad profile image71
          Harishprasadposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I didn't anticipate that someone would so agree with me. Elijah, you throw some interesting stuff for us to ruminate and take our direction toward the right path. Inspite of everything, destiny would decide what to do after we fail.

Thanks for the prop, Harishprasad, few people ever consider there are cycles to everything in existence which I call "the whole view".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)