Instincts, Morality, Prejudice, Trust or????

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image90
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 9 months ago

What is it that makes you strongly believe or reject an idea or a piece of information? Simply put, how do you validate information? And how often do you feel the need or urge to validate something? Be it the news, a research, even in historical context.

Also, does credibility of the source overpower your own judgement or ability to decipher?

1. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 9 months agoin reply to this

It has to make sense, not be contradictory. For instance, the most blatant case of it in recent times is the mainstream news here in the US. First they black out Occupy Wall St. Then they black out Bernie Sanders during the primaries. Then all of a sudden after Trump got elected they are covering "women's marches" and pushing this Russia narrative, etc. I don't believe a thing coming from the mainstream news, it's all distraction and diversion from the real issue. But you can even see it in what they emphasize as opposed to what they never cover. This is also a contradiction. Hour after hour of news about scary Russia, sexual assault in Hollywood, how silly Trump is but nothing about Yemen, the opioid epidemic, poverty, who owns the major TV networks, who was paid off in Congress, etc. Can you imagine what would happen if they covered real stories? People would be up in arms over the shoddy condition of this country and they wouldn't just question Trump. Definitely not just him.

AshutoshJoshi06posted 9 months agoin reply to this

Would 'make sense' not be a subjective approach?
        But I guess the observations made are spot on. When it comes to mainstream media in any part of the world, nothing actually makes sense anymore. The standards and ethics are on a sharp decline.

Also, I think when it comes to 'Trump obsession' of the media, it's largely owed to Trump's own folly. Although it's not like he's the epitome of everything that is wrong, or despicable and cringeworthy, as is the discourse, media projection and even endlessly discussed on the HP feed. Again it may just be my view, but I do feel he's not that refined and perhaps does not have what it takes to hold the most powerful office.

1. wilderness profile image97
          wildernessposted 9 months agoin reply to this

!! Donald Trump is not refined, is not of the elite PC aristocracy of the country??!!  How can you say such a thing?!? lol

You're absolutely right, of course, but I'm not sure that that makes him unfit to hold the office.  Perhaps it's time that gentrified aristocracy learned to speak with truth and honesty rather than a constant stream of irrelevant but emotion laden words all conforming to current standards of being PC and never causing to offense no matter how much offense is desired.

If you look at it the other way round that would make more sense. Sounding politically correct, what difference does it really make? Few brownie points, Appeasement!!

But then again, there is the other side of coin too. He has earned the critics and continues to provoke them. Elite or no elite, a politician is expected to grab attention and not the other thing. You can't appease both sides and even if you stoop low, that has to be done with finesse. That's the political smokescreen.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 9 months agoin reply to this

The first thing I do is determine whether or not it's important.
      If it really doesn't affect me I probably want spend a whole lot of time attempting to verify it. The majority of things we hear about are things which usually fall into opinionated issues which have no clear "right" or "wrong" aspect to them. It makes no sense to get all riled up to debate and argue over something that is (personally) irrelevant.

In the U.S. most people tune into the news channels or read newspapers that reflect (their) own beliefs and biases. There are no neutral resources!
      In an ideal world we'd gather information from a variety of sources before making a decision to believe something or not to believe it.

As a writer, blogger, or author you even find yourself looking for a "specific photo" to go with your article. If the subject matter is designed to reflect negatively on an individual you are not going use one of their best looking photos. When I caught myself doing such things I began to look at everything I read online and in print asking myself why did the author (choose) that particular photo? Very little is left up to "chance".

In other instances you actually see the person saying something and later they deny saying it. Clearly you know they're not a trustworthy person.

Ultimately the world is filled with hypocrites!
      People will side with whomever they usually agree with most of the time.
      If for some reason that person is caught up in something that is 'shady" they'll find a way to still support by deflecting, justifying, defending, or ignoring whatever it is that was done. No one wants to switch sides! smile

I agree, this makes sense to me. Except the last statement "no one wants to switch sides". I have a cynical view on that.

2. Jessie L Watson profile image95
    Jessie L Watsonposted 9 months ago

From an epistemological point of view, I've tried to develop a working body of knowledge starting with historical references. Like building a foundation of well-accepted information all the way up until the present moment where some things have yet to be verified or disproven. I generally try to make an effort not to become tribal in my thinking. Some part of me wants to preserve my mental representation of the world around me but I understand the crucial process of integrating new information. I think this can be a very personal endeavor.

I think it helped quite a lot when I left social media. Every time I logged in, I took a shotgun blast of misinformation to the face. I was tired of getting drawn into hyperbolic discussions and arguing on issues that didn't have much to do with me. It was a waste of my time so I decided to be more methodical about what I allowed into my sphere of consciousness. So, if we can manage to decrease the flow of white noise, we can get a better signal.

Further, if I see something that I personally find to have no basis in reality, I conduct an internal investigation of whether or not I can even procure a coherent counter-argument. And that actually takes some work. For example, if someone posts something about a flat earth theory, I would have to spend time coming up with different arguing points on the validity of government secrecy, physics, astrophysics, human perception, etc. It's not worth my time.

Lastly, if I do happen to see something that doesn't exactly fit into my own picture of the world but has some merit, I do my best to judge the content on its merits and maybe discuss the matter further.

Couldn't agree more smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)