The Best Birth Order?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7504441.jpg
    In your opinion which is THE BEST birth order & why?  Are you happy w/your birth order? If not, which birth order would you rather be & why?

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's a funny question, Grace. There is no best birth order unless you were a white European male born in medieval times. The oldest son inherited the estate, title, etc. lock, stock, and barrel. This then carried over into America. My grandfather was the youngest of 9 children, so he got the short end of the stick. His oldest brother inherited the farm, a substantial and fertile piece of earth, but he'd already become a real estate agent by that time. He sold it and bought a semi-mansion in town. The other kids either had to make it on their own or the girls needed to pick wealthy men to marry. So there, you have it!
      Oh, I guess you mean psychologically in today's society. Everybody has a gripe about his or her birth order. Psychologists think they have it figured out, but different families have different advantages in birth order. As the oldest, I paved the way for my two younger siblings. My brother was the baby, so he was coddled by my mother. After I married and left home, my sister, the middle child, got all the advantages that I never got because because the loss of my presence gave my siblings an advantage financially. We were not a wealthy family.
      Being Southerners, my mother thought we had to follow the rules which were much stricter for girls than boys. But being the eldest, I had a closer relationship with my father who taught me to hunt and shoot and plant a garden. My brother hated all that, including all sports, so my father called him a sissy. My sister was all little lady and had no idea how to pick up a ball bat, much less use one. She actually had the closest relationship with both parents because my dad had taught me self-reliance, and my brother never wanted to get close to him.
      So, you see, this is why I say there is no such thing as "the best birth order." It depends on the family and the personalities of the children. All three of us had an advantage, of sorts, depending on the subject matter being discussed. In my case, I am happy with my birth order.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Mizbejabbers, you have brought up an interesting point.  In medieval times, it was the oldest son who got the land & other accoutrements.  This explains the Viking phenonema also.  Oldest sons got the land which push younger sons to explore the world to gain riches.   

In SOME cases being the oldest is advantageous but not in most cases. Oldest children are pressed to be adults early.  They are treated more harshly by their parents.  They are also punished more, oftentimes for offenses that their younger siblings commit.   The average oldest child have an abbreviated childhood & adolescence.   They are pushed into adulthood at a time when they should have a normative childhood & adolescence. 

Some of the most unhappiest people I have met were oldest children.  They hated their lives.  They also resented their parents & younger siblings.  I know an oldest child who was so overburdened that she wished that she was dead.  I feel sorry for any oldest child.

It was my experience that you are definitely right about parents expecting more from the oldest child. However, I was the intellectual of the three of us, so my parents looked over the fact that I hated housework in favor of my studies to bring home the As. I was the honor student. My sister made the merit list (the B list), and my brother was the slacker with Cs although he was much brighter than that. But I would say that all three of us had normal childhoods. At least as normal as one can have in a dysfunctional family.

Mizbejabbers, your wonderful family is FAR FROM DYSFUNCTIONAL.

Not really, I failed to mention that my dad was alcoholic, and my mother had a mental illness caused by a thyroid malfunction that was later diagnosed and treated. That makes for a dysfunctional family. My father never showed me or my brother any affection, but he did hug my sister. He also had some strange ideas like being a musician automatically made one gay, so I wasn't allowed to be in the school band. We weren't allowed to drive, so I had to wait until I was married to learn to drive. My brother got a job that required driving, so daddy did teach him out of necessity. My mother drove me back and forth to college like my younger siblings, or sometimes I walked. I could have driven all three of us to school had I been able to drive (like my peers were driving their siblings). Talk about embarrassing, but I survived that.  I will say that we never went hungry though. I didn't experience hunger until I married my first husband.

2. Mark O Richardson profile image82
    Mark O Richardsonposted 3 years ago

Have you read or listened to any of James Dobson's work on this? That is who/what I think of.

I agree about children that are one of the oldest in their family. I agree that the parents are tougher on them and they had to grow up.

I am 5th out of 8. By the time I was a teenager, my parents were broken in by my older brothers, so my parents were pretty easy going with me. But I was a good kid, no joke. I was the leader of the lower half of my siblings. I spent a lot of time with my younger siblings.

My oldest child is a very good leader and is very opinionated. My youngest likes to play the baby card often, but I call him on it.

I haven't thought too much about what I would have preferred because one does not have control over it.

Mark, what you have described reminds me of the book, THE LARGE FAMILY SYSTEM by James H. Bossard & Eleanor Stoker Boll.  The birth order dynamic is very different in large family than it is in small families.  Due to the large number of children in the family, there are many divisions of oldest, middle, & younger children.

Grace, does this book make distinctions by gender also?

I haven't read the book in a long time- I can't recall the authors mentioning gender but they probably did.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)