Should all form of competition be banned from school sportsdays?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

A friend of mine recently told me about her eight year old son who attends a schools where at Sports Day - there is no real competition in the activities and all the children are awarded prizes.  The first year her son thought this was quite cool, but now after three years he is very disenchanted. What do you think?

1. Lancer_2013 profile image68
      Lancer_2013posted 13 years agoin reply to this

no! most kids love it!

2. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Its great method,…..if your goal is to promote mediocrity.

As appears to be the plan.

3. LaMamaLoli profile image61
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

Competition should be encouraged - its healthy. If that happened at my son's school I would campaign to get it changed. How ridiculous to award every child, what's the point?

4. profile image61
    tommyjposted 13 years ago

Do they all get A's on their academic work as well?

5. mrpopo profile image73
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

Isn't school itself a form of competition?

6. jondav profile image68
    jondavposted 13 years ago

Thats the problem with todays society, we stop doing things just in case someone might not agree with it. If we stop children wanting or trying to win we will have a generation of people that won't want to push themselves later in life.

Nothing wrong with competition.Nothing wrong with winning.

7. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Yes ban all competition. Let's stop giving the kids grades too. Let's have them advance no matter what. Let's dress them all the same and require all the same hair style. Let's go through great lengths to make everyone the same. Cookie cutter kids, factory families, all designed to meet state requirements, all equal. Ah Utopia!

8. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

We seem to be stuck in this mode where we want *everyone* to feel special for doing nothing, and looking at today's kids (not all - just most) we've reaped a poor crop from it.

Many of today's kids are lazy and unmotivated, as they believe the real world will perceive them as special and automatically endow them with gifts, but we know this just isn't how the real world works. We have to compete to get what we want and we need to teach our children this at an early age.

What's the sense in competition, you might ask? A fair question ... And I will tell you that it was the competition of two great countries that put a man on the moon and the competition of many European countries that founded America. Competition is the backbone of our advancement as a culture, and without it, we would grow fat and lazy - which is the road we appear to be set upon.

I hate to see a child cry when they aren't as good at something as the other children are, but you don't leave that child to falsely believe they have skills that they don't. Instead, you find that something that the child *is* good at and bolster them with that instead.

Maybe Johnny can't run like the wind, but it's possible he can work out a difficult math problem faster than any other child. Praise their skills and watch them grow to compete in fields where they can grow.

As was said in this thread, we don't hand out A's to everyone in school for their grades, so we shouldn't praise students for other goals they haven't yet achieved.

As a footnote, I think I read somewhere that Michael Jordan wasn't quite a stellar basketball player as a youth, but he overcame that to become one of the best ever. Also, I believe Einstein had troubles in school, but he went on to become the best physicist ever.

To become more we need to know what our boundaries are, so we can work around them or push them down - that's how progress works! smile

1. BaliMermaid profile image58
      BaliMermaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Schools are meant to prepare our children for the real world. If nothing else, the real world is totally competitive. How can schools do their job, of preparing our children for life as adults, if they cannot experience competition, both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat (sorry could not resist)!

9. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

No! Competitiveness is a solid human character trait that should be best utilized, so as to flourish. Suppression of competition would be bad.

10. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

My son's first school, which he attended up to the age of 7, had non competitive sports days. To be honest, it just wasn't the same as the ones I remember from my childhood. They do this so they don't have winners or losers, yet all the children already know who the best runners etc. are in the class.

Now he is in junior school and it is competitive now, but only in  a fun way. I think the children enjoy it much more like this, I mean, what is the point of doing it in the first place if you are not trying to beat the others?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)