Why is wrong to reject someone you do not find attractive?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image47
    FelineFranceposted 13 years ago

I am curious as to why it is wrong. I do agree that is there is much more to a relationship than looks. What if you are 5 ft 11 woman and do not feel comfortable dating a  5 ft 2 man? Why is it shallow? Isn't a waste of time going out with a guy who honestly do not find attractive?

1. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there is anything wrong with it.  There's even lots of people who are attractive by other people's standards, or else who someone else finds attractive/appealing; that we, personally, don't.  It's just how people are.  Nothing wrong with it.  (If there were, we'd all be dating, or married to, platonic friends.  smile )

2. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The key word- "comfortable" and that has nothing to do with being attracted. You certainly don't want to be kissing a person who is 5' tall, it would hurt or cause problems for you later in life. It would make sense to get together with someone who is more your size.
      It's not shallow.
      It's not based on being attracted. It's about interest? Does the person interest you? Is what matters. smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's wrong, nor is it shallow to find someone much shorter than yourself less compatible. I'm also tall, and feel more comfortable with men at least as tall as I am or taller.

I don't know if it's a waste of time to go out with someone you don't find attractive, but I wouldn't do it again. I think we can learn from any situation we find ourselves in, even if it's a date we wouldn't care to repeat.

2. Chrisanta profile image61
    Chrisantaposted 13 years ago

There's nothing wrong with going out with someone whom you are not attracted. Just because in looks you are not attracted to them doesn't mean that there is nothing there. Sometimes you have to spend a little time with someone just to figure out what made you even want to go out with them in the first place. Though not all people are not willing to take the time to view ones inner beauty, it is also the reason why many are counted a statistic on more than what they should be. But as Ms. Lisa HW said, that's just how people are.

3. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

There is nothing wrong with rejecting someone if it dosent feel right. In fact, that is the only right thing to do. There are polite ways of doing it, too. You dont have to be rude or cold to get your point across. If you show interest in someone you have no real interest in, you will only serve to mislead that person, not to mention being untrue to yourself.

4. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

nothing wrong with rejecting someone...it's just the WAY some chose to do it that's the catch...

1. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Stacie, if you do not want to go out with someone then don't, it is better to be honest (in a nice way).

5. thighhighchick profile image61
    thighhighchickposted 13 years ago

We all have preferences. Some people like brunettes some blonde some tall some short. You can date who you want no matter what your looking for in a person. BUT remember that sometimes what you want is not what is best. I know friends that would never have "picked" their partners but they fell in love and threw the preferences out the window. They have been married 8 years now

6. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

It was very painful to have to reject someone this way.  But I remember dating a nice guy about 5 times, and it became obvious we didn't have that much in common.  I don't think there was anything else that would have surfaced to spark an interest, and I wasn't that attracted to him in the first place. I'm not very tall, but he was shorter yet. I hated having to reject him, especially since I knew that we would run into each other on a fairly regular basis.

I volunteer with a woman who used to work with him, and she told me that she encountered him in a jewelry store buying an anniversary present for his wife, so I'm glad that the story ended well for him eventually, and that he found someone. I'll bet she's a petite gal.  smile

7. KCC Big Country profile image80
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I remember a good friend telling me one time about how when she first met her husband she didn't find him attractive, but after being around him on a couple of dates his personality really made his eyes sparkle, his smile brighter, etc.  Suddenly, she began to see him differently.  They've been married over 20 years now. 

Attraction is simply a component of a relationship and there are many components that make it work.  I don't think it's shallow to shy away from someone you don't find attractive, but I think you may miss out on something if you make that decision too soon as illustrated in my example above.

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

FF, I personally don't find anything wrong with it at all.  I think the biggest issue is in how the person who isn't attracted does the "rejecting."  I think it's important that the individual being up front, gentle, and honest.  There's no sense in leading anyone on, hurting their feelings, or being dishonest.

9. sassyk73 profile image71
    sassyk73posted 13 years ago

I don't think it's wrong to reject someone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, you can go out with the most attractive person in the world and then when they open their mouth it makes them ugly.

I agree with motown. Just be gentle, upfront and honest. Don't ever lead anyone on. That don't feel good. I know, I was the one on the receiving end. Good question. God bless you smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)