Relation between education and age.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    maddy757posted 13 years ago

Should education be limited by the age of a person.? Then why are those made fun of who come back to college after a certain break of few years.?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was made fun of in college because:

1) I worked 3 years first, to save up the money to go,
      2) I made pretty good grades while still working, and
      3) Earned academic scholarships, a lot of proficiency test course credits and started out in 3rd-year courses,
      4) And by non-college friends that thought they were being left behind.

The larger group seems always to attempt to hold back the individual that tries to change and grow. It must be ignored by the target. It is bullying.   

In graduate school a few years later it was much worse - some the Professors made fun of the ladies I met that were in their late 50s, especially the nurses. 

I've known 75-year-olds that went back to college.

Go to school no matter what, if you want to. PLUS, the studying and thinking help stave of Alzheimer's in senior citizens.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who "made fun of" you for saving and going to college?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In Islam ... there is no distance too great, or age, being, too old ... for the Muslim's pursuit of ... The Knowledge.

The Lord Hath taught us, what we did not Know ... and it is Expected, by Him, that Muslims will continue the pursuit of True Knowledge ... from the cradle, to the grave.

Like Relativities ... Truth is not a Theory ... hence, there is not Relation, between education ... and age.

3. profile image51
      waynehardyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I don't think so. There is no age to education.  Anybody can learn anything at anytime in his life.
      http://www.healthproductreviewers.com/l … eview.html

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Have you lost your mind?  Are you telling me that someone is making fun of someone for going back to college after taking a break for a few years?  I'm 60 years old.  I'm back in college for the third time.  Obviously, I've lived in between and attended the school of hard knocks.  But I have never stopped learning.  Being made fun of doesn't even exist except in the mind of the one doing it.

3. M. A. Hook profile image61
    M. A. Hookposted 13 years ago

You may want to ask yourself if you are in the wrong school. There are three kinds of schools catering to three kinds of students:

1. Those who want to learn as much as possible to become an expert in a specific field;

2. Those who want to make political connections to use as stepping stones to better themselves in life; and,

3. Where's the PARTY!!!!!

Sounds like you're in #3. That would be the wrong school for you. Do your homework, find a #1 school, and get tha-heck-outta-Dodge before you run up a huge debt on a degree that will be useless to you in your future objectives.

4. fayehelen profile image57
    fayehelenposted 13 years ago

I went to a university where there were plenty of 'mature students'. The ones I knew didn't party at the student union (their own choice), but got stuck in with everything else; lectures, seminars, classes and subject socials! I didn't judge them, just saw them as one of us - and im pretty sure that other students didn't either. It is sad if that is not the case where you are.

Of course there shouldnt be an age limit on education! Education allows people to grow and better thereselves - no matter how old they are!

5. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

I am working supporting students with difficulties so I get to attend loads of lectures in subjects that I have no experience in. I reckon that life experience puts you head and shoulders above the youngsters and would say go and study.

6. Jo Deslaurier profile image67
    Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years ago

I know what you mean; I took a two year break from college after my junior year went back and was basically ostracized by students in a freshman course once they realized I was several years older than them and wasn't going to buy them beer. The majority of college students just got out of high school and think that creating cliches is the norm. And we all know that the easiest way for high school students to create cliches is by ostracizing "the outsider". Being older makes us easy targets as "the outsider". If this is your current situation it will probably get better the longer you are there. Once the kids realize you're not interested in their drama they'll probably calm down, plus you'll probably meet a couple of other students you own age.

7. Yuki92 profile image67
    Yuki92posted 13 years ago

Just ignore them. You're there to learn. So learn.

1. NCBIer profile image61
      NCBIerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've taught college courses and know several others that do as well. The general trend seems to be that the more mature the student, the more they participate, the harder they work, the more they appreciate why they are there to begin with. A truly good professor values the mature student as an example of someone with the genuine desire to learn.

As Dr. Seuss so eloquently put it, "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

8. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Making fun of someone of any age for trying to learn more is just dumb, for lack of a more eloquent term. I know plenty of people who started their first college degree around 30, and a lot of retired people who have gone back to school simply because it's an enjoyable and stimulating way to pass the time. I am personally 24, and eventually will make it to college, though I haven't yet...and haven't really needed it. Most people just assume that I have a college education, especially since I make a living as a writer and am -- so they say -- a very effective communicator. Why is it so abnormal for someone to go to school when they want to, rather than going right out of high school simply because it's expected and they have scholarships/mommy's and daddy's money/student loan offers out the wazoo and they're not sure what else to do with their life?

9. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

What most recent high school graduates don't understand is...some of them may drop out and return to finish in 5-10-15-20-25 or so years, after they've been married, had children, supported spouses, attempted to have a career without a degree, and/or divorced.  There is no shame in returning to school at whatever age you decide to go.  Besides, college professors do it all the time, because it's required!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)