jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

A Common Nightmare? What Does It Mean?

1. tHErEDpILL profile image87
    tHErEDpILLposted 6 years ago

Have you ever had "the nightmare" where something or someone is holding you down and no matter how hard you try, you cannot move, and when you try to scream for help nothing comes out?  Believe it or not this is a very typical nightmare, so I wonder, what does it mean?

1. shogan profile image85
      shoganposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You'll get a range of answers, I'm sure.  On the one hand, it might mean that there is something in your life that you feel unable to change or improve, and it's doing you harm.  On the other hand, it might mean that you had a chocolate bar right before going to bed.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Struggling w/ the other self. Id versus ego. Conscious versus sub-conscious.

1. tHErEDpILL profile image87
          tHErEDpILLposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with conscious vs. subconscious but I go a step further.  I think it is a kind of "gatekeeper" within the subconscious that is preventing us from going too far into it's realm.  I think if someone was to ever win this battle instead of breaking free and waking up, they may get the answers to a lot of questions that have been stumping us for years.  Who knows maybe some one already has, and they are on such a higher plane than us that they have some reason for not even revealing it?

1. shogan profile image85
            shoganposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Eh...I'm going with the bar of chocolate.

2. getitrite profile image79
            getitriteposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's a stretch, but the logical answer is Sleep Paralysis.

Sleep Paralysis occurs whenever a person enters the dream state in Deep Sleep instead of R.E.M.

During R.E.M., a body can still move, but during Deep Sleep, the body has become immobile.  Therefore it is an anomaly that dreamimg occurs during the Deep Sleep stage...but the results can be terrifying.

2. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 6 years ago

Interesting. I often dream that I want to move from one place to another, but my legs won't allow me. They are paralyzed.

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

The opposite is flying dreams. My guess is there is something oppressive conscious or unconscious that needs to be changed but you can't. Dreams are often problems symbolized.

working