Deja Vue: What is it good for, absolutely nothing?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. tHErEDpILL profile image82
    tHErEDpILLposted 12 years ago

Here's the scientific theories on Deja Vue, as told by Wikipedia;

The most likely explanation of déjà vu is not that it is an act of "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather that it is an anomaly of memory, giving the false impression that an experience is "being recalled".  This explanation is substantiated by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred) are quite uncertain or known to be impossible. Likewise, as time passes, subjects can exhibit a strong recollection of having the "unsettling" experience of déjà vu itself, but little or no recollection of the specifics of the event(s) or circumstance(s) they were "remembering" when they had the déjà vu experience. In particular, this may result from an overlap between the neurological systems responsible for short-term memory and those responsible for long-term memory (events which are perceived as being in the past). The events would be stored into memory before the conscious part of the brain even receives the information and processes it.

Another hypothesis being explored is that of vision. The hypothesis suggests that one eye may record what is seen fractionally faster than the other, creating the "strong recollection" sensation upon the "same" scene being viewed milliseconds later by the opposite eye.[6] However, this hypothesis fails to explain the phenomenon when other sensory inputs are involved, such as hearing or touch. If one, for instance, experiences déjà vu of someone slapping the fingers on his left hand, then the déjà vu feeling is certainly not due to his right hand experiencing the same sensation later than his left hand considering that his right hand would never receive the same sensory input. Also, people with only one eye still report experiencing déjà vu or déjà vécu (a rare disorder of memory, similar to persistent déjà vu). The global phenomenon can therefore at least in certain cases be narrowed down to the brain itself (i.e., one hemisphere being late compared to the other one).

Do you guys believe the scientific theories or do you think this uncanny experience could be some sort of supernatural  premonition, or maybe a glitch in the Matrix?  Hmm.

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image61
      tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have my own theory about Deja Vu. we know that the brain is capable of many skills we do not make use of. i believe that when we sleep, we are able, in our dreams, to see into the future, even if only just a little way. when we wakep up, these are just one of many of the dreams we forget about. however, as we approach the moment we dreamed about, things begin to look familiar to us. we recognize that our friend stood next to us, and they said...they said...oh, they said "it is going to rain tomorrow"...and just as we remember that our friend, who is standing next to us says, "it is going to rain tomorrow". we say"i knew you were going to say that"! and we shake our heads and chalk it up to Deja Vu.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't say it's anything other than what it is.

It's a dose of the subconscious, perpetuating forth, an envisioned aspect of knowing something, injecting to the conscious mind.

Most of the time it happens, because the subconscious recognizes something from some other location and brings it forth to the conscious mind in a split second. Which means, at some point, your subconscious had already been in the situation in which you are at the time, when it happens(deja vu').

Thus, deja vu' is nothing more than your subconscious trying to relay information.

The average person averages over 100 dreams in one 8 hour period of sleep. The mind is a computer, when running in sleep mode(subconscious state). When you are awake and aware? Your focus is determined by you.

1. tHErEDpILL profile image82
      tHErEDpILLposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yea, it seems like science is winning again on this one.  The subconscious explanation makes sense, but it also makes you wonder...what will we be able to do in x amount of years when we have evolved in such a manner where we understand more about the the subconscious mind than we do now?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not about science winning anything, but do see your point in saying that it does. The fact that science is seen as anything other than what it is, is the problem. Science is about gaining knowledge. It's a tool humankind uses.

As for where will humankind be in the future? If things presently do not change, then we as a species will be nowhere better off than we are now.

3. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

Years ago there was a program on television that dealt with or presented the supernatural-(just can't think of the name of it anymore).  This program did get my attention because I don't usually go along with the strange but this program for example: a daugther was gone somewhere with her friends across town and mom was at home washing dishes. At some point the something happened to the daughter like she was hit by a passing car let's say at 7:00 pm at the exact moment standing over the sink mon felt something happened to her daughter and feeling so strongly about it she got into her car and drove to where her daughter was suppose to be and founder laying along side the curb as mom got help for her.

This program did similiar programs with twin sisters, etc.

4. empathy1 profile image59
    empathy1posted 12 years ago

I have many stories to tell but one I need to share on reading this short HubPage on Deja Vu. This weird sensation must, I expect be two things or more. It could be just a delay or glitch in the way the brain is working when you get the sensation of 'repeat'. Given how complex the brain is I feel many times it is like an in balance in the way we have measured the events before us.

However what has also happened to me and my children and other members of my family on several occasions is most certainly NOT explicable in any biological or scientific way.

The best personal example was a dream preview, in detail with emotions and in an extremely lifelike fashion, of a place as I walked through the area. An area I have never been to nor did I recognise it during the dream. An area so far removed from where I lived that I had not ever been there nor thought about the location before. The dream was so unusual in detail I felt as if I was there and I now, on waking, had a full memory of an event that took about 30 minutes. Well move on about three and a half years and there I was: walking along I opened a swing door at my university and I found myself just staring at the start of my dream. So I walked, with that tingle one gets up and down the spine, for the distance of the hallway, past very particular plants, a view into an internal atrium/garden and past some etched windows (all exactly as I dreamed), then on through more doors, out onto a grass slope and past some wood wartime huts painted white that looked over a view of a hill with some fields and sheep. Oh there was a lot more detail, colors and emotions. All were exact. Deja Vu? Well it was a silly topic - sheep and architectural detail; no big winnings on the horses, no profits from preview of the financial times! Just my personal time as I wandered down some worm hole or time preview or precognition. I was stunned. Such a banal 30 minutes yet what had just happened; I had broken every scientific law in the book!

Being a science student I had to realise right then there were things in life that did not mesh with our mental maps of the universe. I did not dump logic or science nor take up some wacky sub belief. No I just accept it happened and I am in awe. What do I think? I think it was a small message to me that my life is and was at that time 'on track'. It was like someone just saying, calm down, somethings ahead will be hard, but trust and accept your own life. So I did and still do. It gave me courage to shift my consciousness away from the mundane daily events and to focus on life as a kind of route that held meaning and was deliberate.

Things like this are fairly common but many persons hate to talk about the more bizarre events. As a doctor I know when people are being truthful and I should write a book about many of the first hand tales I have listened to. Please do not feel there is no mystery to us, to our universe and to our spirits. We are part of something that is much more than we can understand or explain. Our developing sciences are our attempts to be truthful, use the languages of truth wisely or suffer.

I know there are times when Deja Vu is a paranormal event. Enjoy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)