Name the TWO MOST TERRIFYING horror movies which made YOU cringe,

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8849847_f520.jpg
    sleep with the lights on, made you go into your subconscious religious recesses, or asked a friend or relative to stay with you to allay your fears?

1. Meisjunk profile image75
      Meisjunkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hellraiser! When I was a kid, I made the mistake of sneaking back downstairs under the guise of "needing a glass of water" so that I could see the movie from the kitchen! I was traumatized! To this day, I cannot watch it!

The Saw movies also make me cringe, though it's due to all the gore. All I can think of is that really happening to my body, any of those awful limb-tearing, dismantling things, and I swear I can feel it actually happening! Gives me the creepy crawlies everywhere haha.

2. cfin profile image65
      cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

1. "Splice!" - Oh dear god!!! That movie was disgusting.

2. The original Nosferatu movie when I was about 6. I remember seeing it from the hallway of my grandparents house. I was disturbed for weeks after seeing him climbing through the window in that black and white jumpy framed movie.

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Reaching back as a child the media presentation that scared me and still affects me today was a broadcast on the Twilight Zone. I looked it up on Wiki and its episode is titled "Little Girl Lost" broadcast March of '62. In '62 I was in the second grade.

Essentially the little girl passes through an invisible portal in a wall. Gone . . . poof! The parents wake up and hear her in the room, yet nowhere to be found. I was afraid of under the bed because of that. Also, would not ever get between the bed and the wall if mom or day wanted my help moving it or breaking it down to move to another town. I think I still have reservations with touching walls still today like scrubbing them and painting. There were other episodes that were scary then too.

Somewhere in life I stopped attending any 'horror' flick unless accompanied by someone. I do not know why or remember what film caused that. The 'Omen' kept me on edge. The Exorcist I laughed because that is a nervous reaction. So, I would say that had an affect on me too.

2. JasminRace profile image58
    JasminRaceposted 10 years ago

I recently watched the new texas Chainsaw massacre 3D It was awful from the get go! Then following that I watched another called Dark touch, it started well but by the end it was CRINGE!! Shocking acting with a awful ending sad

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

The original "Amityville Horror" got me bad when I was a kid.
    More recently, my wife and I revisited "Pet Sematery" for the first time in many years and it freaked us both out. The events in that movie play on the absolute worst fears a parent can have.

4. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 10 years ago

as a kid my aunt drug me to EVERY creepy crawly horror/sci-fi picture we could see at a drive-in,.. yes, im old enough to have been to a drive in,.. you havent really lived if you havent experienced campy tacky horror of the late 70's early 80's at a KC MO drive-in,.. the hoots and boo's,... the INSANE inspropriate laughter at the tacky silver screen antics,... the crowd sized gasps and screams at the "scary part"..... i still have very vivid memories of "night of the living dead".... "humanoids from the deep".... even such classics as "attack of the killer tomatoes".... "the blob".... and of course Vincent Price in "the tingler"........ all from the tailgate of a station waggon with a cooler full of beer and liver cheese sandwiches and big bag of popcorn from home, having hid under the cooler in the floor boards because we were sneaking the smallest of us in without paying.....

the one that scared me most back then,..... "the children"..... a school buss full of kids rolls through a toxic cloud of gas and are transformed in to scary murdurous creatures of DOOOOOOM!..... it scared the hell out of me because it contained familar things like school busses and children,.. it was to familiar to me,... litteraly freeked me out propper!

in later years i dont like horror movies,... they are not campy or fun any more,... the sadist vision that todays horror has become is a complete turn off,.. ive never seen the "saw" serries,... just the premis is enough to tell me i dont want to see it,.... ive lived enough, experienced enough and seen enough to know what man is capable of doing to his fellow man,... no

5. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

I've seen a trillion horror flicks:  Hack and slash, demons and spirits, etc...Two stick out to me as the most horrifying.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    House on Haunted Hill (most recent with Geoffrey Rush and Famke Jannsen)

6. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

Carrie. Life was never the same, especially when her hand came out of the ground and grabbed the girl's arm.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I watched Carrie alone one night when we lived out in the country.  We had no neighbors.  My husband was gone.  I was paralyzed to the chair.  Since then I haven't watched that many scary/horror films.  I've never watched a chainsaw movie, no thanks.

7. Anna Haven profile image71
    Anna Havenposted 10 years ago

Nightmare on Elm Street and The Exorcist. Horrible films. I didn't really watch anymore after The Exorcist and that was 15 years ago!

8. Richawriter profile image85
    Richawriterposted 10 years ago

The Grudge was horrifying and left me unable to sleep with the lights off for two nights - as a twenty-something-year old! I kept seeing the ghost and all her hair sprouting from the corners of the room ... and those eyes, oh God! Then there's the part where she climbs under the covers ....!!!

Candyman was also a terrifying movie that leaves you fearing mirrors for a week or so afterwards. Just imagine standing in front of the mirror and repeating the words "Candyman" three times. The ending is also utterly terrifying. The darkened bathroom, the horrible face in the mirror .... ughhh cold shivers!!!

Watch them if you dare! haha

Rich

9. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Ok, this wasn't a horror movie, but it made me cringe. Last night I ordered the Tilapia... I thought it was a filet, but it was the whole fish... eyeball to tail. Like a backwoods yokel I asked them if they wouldn't mind removing the head and tail for me. They were so kind to me... loser that I am, but I felt really bad.

10. profile image0
    hlwarposted 10 years ago

I watch a lot of horror movies, but I can only recall one that made me scared enough to forego sleep and wake up a family member to sit with me: Ring (リング or Ringu).

I was lucky enough to see the original Japanese film before the subpar American remake, and there was just something disquieting about the overall ambiance. It didn't rely on big-budget computer effects, fast paced adventure scenes, or thrown together pointless facts to reach an outcome. It was simple, straight-forward, and believable.

The clincher? That realistic moment of the ghost crawling out of the TV. Because it was filmed with a real creepy girl crawling out of a real TV, not CGI. Freakish! 

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8861435_f248.jpg

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Exorcist and Black Sunday SCARED me when I was younger.   I recently bought Deliver Us From Evil and FELL ASLEEP during the movie.  NO horror movie scares me; in fact, I use horror movies to fall sleep, a quite fitful sleep I might add.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12043953.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)