jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you cope with stage performance anxiety?

1. J. Kumm profile image56
    J. Kummposted 8 years ago

How do you cope with stage performance anxiety?

2. profile image46
    jenlcbposted 8 years ago

Use it. If you've done your job, you should be prepared to perform in your sleep. Channel your adrenaline into performance energy, not fear. Breathe. If you need to focus by yourself backstage, do that. Shake it out. Jump up and down. Breathe. Realize that you're doing the same thing you've done during rehearsals, just with a few more people in the room.

3. NiketaCalame profile image60
    NiketaCalameposted 8 years ago

I would suggest getting to the theater earlier than the call time if you can.  Bring your ipod and listen to a calm song that is one of your favorites or your characters favorities do a relaxation exercise.  Lay on your back (if its clear do this right on stage).  Tense and release your muscles one at a time from your toes to your legs to your abs to your arms face.  Do this a couple of times.  Then do this again in your chair or wherever maybe when house opens. 

You also have to remember its not about you its about the story and the character.  If all else fails use it. Think to yourself "might the character be nervous or have anxiety about an event in the play and see how that can inform your behavior as you play on stage.

Good Luck,
    Niketa Calame

4. awsydney profile image59
    awsydneyposted 8 years ago

One of my music teachers used to tell me to imagine that all the people in the audience are naked! That way, you don't feel as nervous but it didnt work for me! I usually imagine that I am all alone and performing only for myself and there is no one else in the room. Hope this helps.

5. profile image47
    madjimpposted 8 years ago

Robert Houdin, the French conjuror and the man from whom the young Eric Weiss gained the inspiration for his stage name,HOUDINI, said:

"A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician"
          That's what you are,not Joe Blow from Idaho,but Joe Blow the actor, playing the part of...(fill in with what you're performing). I like the expression,"performance art", whatever you are doing on the stage
    is your art.What you do is your work,
    make it good enough to sign your name to.And then  your butterflies become part of the overall picture,like when Eddie, in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"(which see),went through the cave and into ToonLand...
         Notice how,no matter what happened to him,he was now a part of the Toon world and had all the indestructibility of a toon.Even in his fight with the Judge,he still was in toonland,not Eddie Valiant,the detective,but "EDDIE VALIANT,the hero of TOONTOWN",just like SUPERMAN,"able to leap the tallest buildings,bend steel in his bare hands,change the course of mighty rivers..."In other words,Eddie Valiant,
    the actor.
              Hope this helps... Jaime
    and let me know, madjimp@gmail.com

6. Cassandra_Evers profile image52
    Cassandra_Eversposted 8 years ago

Do a stage performance as often as possible but in lesser time in order to make some adjustment. For your next performance, you can add maybe 5 minutes to it. Soon, you will realize that you dont have any anxiety.

Also, you should be prepare, stay calm and relax. Be in yourself and always have deep breath.

7. profile image0
    handsomebluzzyposted 7 years ago

I suppose my hub on the above topic will help answer your curiosity to cope with stage performance anxiety. Just take a read through http://hubpages.com/hub/OVERCOMING-STAG … what-to-do