jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you handle stage fright or performance anxiety?

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

How do you handle stage fright or performance anxiety?

My oldest son is starring in his first musical performance and he's a little nervous now that it's almost show time.  I am wondering if there are some techniques I might share with him to keep him from getting stressed out so he can actually enjoy the show.  His voice sometimes cracks when he's nervous and he has to sing wink. They've worked incredibly hard the past few months rehearsing and I really want him to have fun.

2. pradiiphira profile image71
    pradiiphiraposted 5 years ago

first try to practice in front of mirror, motivate him,
    and best way to overcome fear is just face it, once your son perform than he realize how good he is, than automatically he will get confidence.

Best of Luck

3. Jeff Berndt profile image85
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

Is it a musical theater production? If so, I'd advise that he focus on his character and why the character is singing this particular song, and how it fits into the story--who is he singing to, and why?

If it's a solo in a choir concert, I'd say to focus on how much he enjoys the song itself, and how he'll feel about sharing the song with his friends and family.

Either way, I would definitely advise that he NOT think about things going wrong. That's a great way to ensure that something goes wrong. Instead, focus on how much he enjoys the song, and remember that he's performing because it's FUN.

None of this, of course, is a substitute for practicing, practicing, practicing until he knows the song so well he can perform it in his sleep. Sing it in the shower, sing it in the car, sing it whenever you get a chance. If any of his brothers and sisters complain, tell them to cut him some slack. And be prepared to put up with it yourself. smile

4. cjpooja26 profile image63
    cjpooja26posted 5 years ago

It was one of my weak point but just believe yourself and take a deep breath, and as it is said that practice makes man perfect, try to perform in front of mirror and practice to become perfect.