jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Are you getting tired of the news covering celebrity deaths more closely than th

1. Jeniferr profile image83
    Jeniferrposted 8 years ago

Are you getting tired of the news covering celebrity deaths more closely than the actual news?

2. Lucey Knight profile image80
    Lucey Knightposted 8 years ago

We live in a "rubber necker" type society.  Sex and death sell.  If we as a society would not be so engrossed in the media accounts of celebrities, then it might not consume the news so much.

3. Isabellas profile image73
    Isabellasposted 8 years ago

You mean that they actually had other news on rather than the celebrity deaths? Wow, your lucky that your news channels were able to break away from the celebrity deaths to cover the news! I know one of my news channels covered nothing but the celebrity deaths with a break long enough to let in weather.

4. Hiperion profile image59
    Hiperionposted 8 years ago

Yeah, the news are talking about the same theme for too many days and forget a little bit what is really important.

5. 6dizz7 profile image55
    6dizz7posted 8 years ago

Celebrity is a monster that we as a public created centuries ago.  Anyone "bigger than life" we have a natural curiosity about.  When someone has a profound talent we wonder if they have they live the same kind of life we do.  Do they have the same fears and idiosyncrasies we wonder.  And as a society we love to be entertained so we adore those that can do just that.  It is to my understanding that entertainment is the biggest part of the GNP in the United States.  Which is to say that we spend more on entertainment than eating!  Go figure.  So the engine behind media coverage of celebrities is not the media in and of itself, rather they are feeding us just what we ask for.

6. theageofcake profile image70
    theageofcakeposted 8 years ago

I tend to prefer BBC news for this reason - its significantly less sensationalistic than popular U.S. news channels like CNN.  Not just in the stories, but in presentation as well.

7. JamieK profile image61
    JamieKposted 8 years ago

It depends what you define as actual news?  Most news stations only cover 99% of the bad things that are happening.  You turn on the TV and all you see is murders, corruptions, scandals, etc.  I have no problem with news channels covering the death of people who had a great influence in our society.  Eg. Teddy Kennedy

Closed to reply