jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

why is power metal and prog rock almost the same?

1. profile image44
    metalhead234posted 8 years ago

why is power metal and prog rock almost the same?

so many bands sound like dream theater or fates warning

2. Johnnie Black profile image58
    Johnnie Blackposted 7 years ago

they're not the same at all.  prog rock is an older genre and a lot of it is not that heavy at all.  power metal tends to be more formulaic, although i tend to think it's often more fun too.  they can intersect somewhat, though rarely. I wouldn't call dream theater an iconic example of either genre.

3. profile image0
    Jake Gene Barnesposted 7 years ago

They're not.

Technically, Tool is a progressive rock band. They sound nothing like Power Metal.

Progressive rock is usually categorized as rock music that strays away from traditional song structure. (you know, verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus) It tends to be on the experimental/avant-garde side of the fence.

Power Metal is usually categorized by its soaring guitar work, epic feel, and high pitched vocals.

The two often intersect (as Johnnie Black noted) but they are not the same style.

4. animekid profile image71
    animekidposted 7 years ago

Okay, I've always thought ( at least when I first heard them back in late 79 ) that Rush was a Prog band, but now I'm not sure what to call them other than a " Seminal Rock Band " and I would not classifiy them honestly as anything other than pro rock and or prog metal?

5. patblea profile image58
    patbleaposted 7 years ago

Then it sounds to me like you are listening to a lot of bands that sound like Dream Theater... Not that bands sound like them. Progressive rock is more defined by it's continuous musical movement, different time signatures, keys and modes. That's the progressive part, and of course rock is the other.
    Power metal is more melodic, not having anything to do with the progression portion. Power metal is more of an 80's style, now you have more variations - hardcore, grindcore, speed, black, etc.

working