jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

As a society are we obsessed with the lives & loves of celebrities?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image81
    Ken R. Abellposted 8 years ago

As a society are we obsessed with the lives & loves of celebrities?

2. IdeaMorphist profile image65
    IdeaMorphistposted 8 years ago

I think the media tries to make society obsessed with the lives and loves of celebrities. I could care less about it, yet everywhere I go I am subject to tabloids or websites that provide me the details thru headlines I might give less than 3 seconds of my attention.

3. Maggie-May profile image60
    Maggie-Mayposted 8 years ago

Society at large appears to be following the gossip linked to celebs. The media is the key instrument utilized to sell products and mostly falsified information to the public. Although, the educated are aware of the social problems associated to the media one would have to pack it in and head for the wilderness to remain untouched by the power of greed splashed at us by means of keeping us in contact to the outside world.  As long as we choose not to live in a bubble there is almost no choice but to find ourselves caught up in the worldwind of new information and technology by which we buy into.  As far as I can tell the media continues to wreak havoc by exploiting the famous, selling us garbage, and deny the truth behind the things that are to make our lives easier, but then again in order for the wealthy and those trying to be wealthy to obtain and maintain  wealth they cannot in fact tell us that their products  and their means to make us desire their products are actually ruining us as an individual and as society at large.....As long as we continue to buy into it, whether by, choosing to ignore the power of wealth and be consumers wanting celebs lifestyles we will seem obsessed.

4. Betty Reid profile image61
    Betty Reidposted 8 years ago

It's hard to ignore when something pops up every day on the Yahoo homepage.  At the grocery store I definitely check out the covers of the gossip magazines, but rarely open them up.  Some people, however, don't seem interested at all.  So, as a society, I would not say we are obsessed, but definitely interested and entertained.  Just about everyone I know has an opinion about Tiger Woods, Jennifer Aniston, Tom Cruise, and Lance Armstrong.

working