jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Are we too obsessed with the lives of celebrities and famous people, preferring

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Are we too obsessed with the lives of celebrities and famous people, preferring to live vicariously

through them than to really live our own lives to the fullest?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8290145_f260.jpg

2. definitions profile image61
    definitionsposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8290374_f260.jpg

I think many people place too much importance on those whose job it is to entertain, rather than the quiet heroes of our world like firemen, police officers, scientists, teachers and those who make a real difference to world but don't ask to be celebrated for their efforts.

It is these humble individuals who I find fascinating.  Celebrities are not as interesting.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very well said!

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I know people like that. I can't have conversations with them because all they seem to talk about is what star is dating the other. Worse, they can remember when a certain celebrity died yet can't remember their own kids' birth dates. There's something really wrong with that. Sure, I have favorite actors/actresses, singers, etc but only know enough about them to say what movies they've been in or what teams they played for. Other than that, I really don't care enough about them to follow their every move. I'm like definitions, the quiet heroes are much more fascinating to me.

4. jjackson786 profile image94
    jjackson786posted 4 years ago

I once gave a speech about our obsession with celebrities. I opened the presentation with the question, "Where did Angelina Jolie adopt her children from?" Several hands raised, multiple correct answers. I then flipped to the next slide on which was the question, "How many American troops are currently deployed in the Middle East?" Not one hand was raised. Nothing but silence. In fact, I could hear a cricket chirping from the corner of the classroom.

working