jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do celebrities have a right to privacy in their personal lives?

1. Ari Lamstein profile image80
    Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago

Do celebrities have a right to privacy in their personal lives?

2. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

yes.  I believe unless a celebrity commits a horrible crime, the media & general public should stay out of their personal lives.  If the person is doing his or her job, that's all that should matter.

3. Morgaren profile image79
    Morgarenposted 5 years ago

No, these people make a living off of exposing themselves to us. I mean, Johnny Depp is never in the media, he remains low profile, and makes a killing off of being a good actor, not being a celebrity. Celebrity has the root word celebrate, meaning people have to be involved for it to be successful.

Actors, and musicians, ect. Can remain artist without selling out their privacy for the extra money celebrity can potentially bring in.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

That is a tough call.  They put themselves in the position of drawing attention by the work they do so it stands to reason there will be a certain amount of privacy sacrificed by the nature of their work.  But I don't think they deserve the media frenzy that seems to follow them.  There used to be journalistic standards and some things were off limits--now everyone is pursuing the "buck" and so anything goes and I think it is rather sad.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image85
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Even celebrities have the right to a private life. What they do in there career should be public but when they are not working they should not be bothered.

5. Holisticity profile image61
    Holisticityposted 5 years ago

Yes they do, but the point of fame nowadays is to provide a distraction for most peoples' lives, and millions of people would die to become a celebrity.  American Idol, etc etc.  Not my thing.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

When a person becomes famous, the constant attention is to be expected.  and part of the package. The generous compensation makes up for a lack of privacy. That being said, every celebrity should have a sanctuary from the media, at least at home. Any other time, it's fair game. Celebrities have enough money to hire security and to pay for private schools and drivers for their children.Paparazzi and stalkers are WAY out of line and should be subject to arrest when they overstep these boundaries.

7. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Everyone has a right to privacy. True, they choose to PART of their lives on public display. But there is also the PART of their lives that they wish to keep private. That is sancrosanct even by Right of Privacy Laws. For instance, When public figures (politicians and celbs alike) are in the privacy of their own homes or yards, or in a place where they should reasonably expect privacy (public restrooms, spas,) the have a right to privacy. So if the poperazzi (I can never remember how to spell that) cannot invade that privacy and the public figure has every right to sue for invasion of privacy, and will probably succeed.

8. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Yes, they do. Not all celebrities are attention hounds. The problem I see is that those that can't seem to thrive without attention have helped perpetuate the idea all of them live and breathe for it. A sad scenario for those others.