jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Disaster movie remakes; good idea or bad?

1. Ande Moore profile image61
    Ande Mooreposted 7 years ago

Disaster movie remakes; good idea or bad?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

As I've never seen a good disaster film and I gave up on them long ago, I doubt that remakes will be, for me, a good idea.

3. goodmovies profile image75
    goodmoviesposted 7 years ago

I'm a big fan of 70s disaster movies, which are a little bit distinct from other disaster movies.The type of movies I'm talking about here are:

Airport (1970)
    The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
    The Towering Inferno (1974)
    Earthquake (1974)
    Airport 1975 (a sequel to Airport)

What made these movies so cool was that they would always use big stars in multiple roles. The Towering Inferno, for example, starred Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, AND William Holden.

In 2006, they remade The Poseidon Adventure, as Poseidon, but it was a box office disaster. From that perspective, I guess maybe disaster movie remakes are a bad idea. On the other hand, it might just have been an execution problem on the part of the studio. The movie might have sucked, and/or the marketing might have sucked too.

Modern disaster films, most of which aren't really remakes, haven't generally been very good. 2012, Armageddon, and Volcano were all more-or-less disasters themselves.

I think on an artistic level, the idea of remaking movies over and over again is a bad idea in general.

I just realized that I'm rambling, heh.

To sum it up, disaster movie remakes are probably a bad idea. But if they wanted to make new movies in that tradition, with huge all star casts, THAT would be cool

4. Jay Louidor profile image61
    Jay Louidorposted 7 years ago

Recent disaster in my personal opinion aren't funny one bit. But to each his own.

5. Andy Webb profile image70
    Andy Webbposted 7 years ago

As a rule I'm against remakes of disaster movies and the nonsense which was Poseidon pretty much proved my point that you shouldn't try and remake what worked originally. I will also add I prefer older disaster movies becuase not only did they feature a good cast but the movie was about the action, the danger, the thrill and so on rather than just big CGI enhanced scenes for those who can't follow storylines.

But having said all that there is one disaster movie I would love to see remade or at least a re-imagined and that is Earthquake. The original is good but because it spreads out so much across different locations it didn't have that adrenalin of being trapped in one place. If they could incorporate that in a remake then I would love it.

working