jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

why are television commercials so booming loud? Neighbors complain, but its not

1. profile image44
    Dragonfairyposted 7 years ago

why are television commercials so booming loud? Neighbors complain, but its not in my control

2. C.V.Rajan profile image79
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Advertisers definitely seem to believe that crying child gets the milk. The louder, the better. With remote in hand, what's the problem in putting sound to mute while ads are running? Better still, ad time is the time for surfing channels!

3. CASE1WORKER profile image73
    CASE1WORKERposted 7 years ago

I know the TV gets louder with the Ads because I wear hearing aids that are set for programme volume so I get  a jolt when the adverts come on. Sometimes I wonder if the advertisers think that we all start conversations when the ads come on

4. shazwellyn profile image56
    shazwellynposted 7 years ago

It is psychology.  You are in a relaxed frame of mind, meditating on the programme content - sometimes we arent actually taking in the programme (unless it is a programme we are actually interested and enthrauled by), we might be in our own world of thought.  The boom of the ads is a wake up call - 'look at me!  Im exciting!  I want your attention!'

Once the ad has your attention, it might actually have a chance to sell you something.  Subconscious 'blip verts' - singlar flash ads designed to enter your subconscious without your conscious thought noticing - are not allowed in advertising, so 'in your face' ads are the new desire.

5. Tammy L profile image78
    Tammy Lposted 7 years ago

There was a news story on one of the local Dallas channels about this very subject a few months ago.  The FCC rules concerning ad volume during television programming states that the ad is allowed to be as loud as the loudest portion of the program being aired.  Hence, if you are watching a movie with a lot of explosions, the ads will be as loud as those explosions.  From what I understand the FCC is trying to change those rules because too many viewers have complained about excessive volume during commercials.