jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you record TV programs so that you can fast forward through the commercials?

1. Cloverleaf profile image86
    Cloverleafposted 6 years ago

Do you record TV programs so that you can fast forward through the commercials?

2. kingis profile image71
    kingisposted 6 years ago

When I had TiVo, I would fast forward through the commercials.  It cut down on long you are watching certain shows.

3. randomcreative profile image92
    randomcreativeposted 6 years ago

My husband and I dropped cable a year and a half ago.  We watch most of our TV through Netflix, Hulu, and DVDs.  The only show that I consistently watch online with long commercials is Conan.

4. VJSacino profile image60
    VJSacinoposted 6 years ago

Overall, no, I don't. The only time I tend to do that is when watching new episodes of my favorite shows. It really does save enough time, though, that it's worth it.

5. .josh. profile image61
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

The only time my partner and I have the television on is if we're watching a DVD; otherwise, it's all on the computer. This is partially due to commercials, but primarily just because we're never around at the time shows are scheduled, and since we're fairly mobile at the moment (living in Australia until the end of the year), it wouldn't make sense to lug something like a TiVo around with us.

With that said, it would probably be a pain to go back to having commercials at this point; I think it's a fairly safe bet that we'll be signing up with Netflix or Hulu when we get back home next year.

6. surawordz profile image54
    surawordzposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do. I told my wife that I got her a DVR with the cable for Christmas. She was very happy, but the whole family is. It is a gift that keeps giving. merry Christmas to all.

7. cooldad profile image60
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

Absolutely.  My wife and I rarely watch anything live anymore.  I can't stand commercials, unless it's for fast food, then I drool on the screen.  DVR's are one of the best television creations ever.

8. Dexter Yarbrough profile image81
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 6 years ago

Absolutely, Cloverleaf! I can't stand some of the stuff they are peddling, so I use my remote like a machine gun - to fast forward!

9. WickedLittleLiar profile image79
    WickedLittleLiarposted 6 years ago

Am I understanding the question correctly? Are you asking if people record television programs ONLY to get the commercials recorded so that they can forward? The question is worded oddly to me and the answers below seem to be going in a different direction. If the question is as you posed that I would record a tv program JUST to get the commercials and fast forward through them, the answer would be no.

10. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image82
    Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 6 years ago

@Cloverleaf...I don't have this capacity on my TV equipment; however, if I did, I wouldn't! Although TV commercials have seemed to get longer over the years, cutting down on actual program minutes, and even more annoying, the pace of today's world annoys me, too. (But, then, I'm old!)

My point is that recording to eliminate something, speeds up something else, and I don't need more speed! I like to relax in front of my TV, not flip through channels, or fast-feed myself.

11. profile image0
    u01dtj6posted 6 years ago

Yes- I really don’t want to sit through the commercials, so I like to record the TV program and fast forward through them. But sometimes (silly me!), I forget I have recorded the show, and still sit through the commercials not realizing I could be fast forwarding through them smile

12. penlady profile image60
    penladyposted 6 years ago

No because I don't have time to go back and watch the programs later.  I really don't watch a lot of television anyway.

working