jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Name one person that you think has made a major impact on the world, good or bad

1. Jordan Hemmann profile image60
    Jordan Hemmannposted 7 years ago

Name one person that you think has made a major impact on the world, good or bad. How different...

do you think the world would be today if that person had never existed?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4324838_f260.jpg

2. tblkjack profile image60
    tblkjackposted 7 years ago

MLK and no I don't think the world would be the same without him being.

3. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Joseph Stalin comes to mind.  Would the Russia we know exist?  Would the cold war ever have happened?

As regards Jesus and Muhammad those two have inflicted horrible evil upon the planet.  More hatred and violence than all the dictators combined.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

You can name any person, even a baby who only lived for a few hours after their birth, and they will have made an impact on the world.  Everyone does.   It is the amount of long term influence you're probably talking about here.   

You might think, "Ah, those who have religions named after them."  But did they make the greatest impact - or was it their anonymous biographers which did that?   How big an impact do you think most of these famous persons would have made if there wasn't a horde of scribes, writers and now journalists and television commentators to ensure that those impacts are made?

5. Gary Rowell profile image59
    Gary Rowellposted 7 years ago

I like to think of positive people.One of the most powerful and positive persons I can think of is Oprah Winfrey.She supports over seventeen charities including Free The Children,Leadership Academy  for Girls in South Africa, Women for women, and many more.I can only think of how the world would be without her by saying she supports people who help other people and having a domino effect of goodness on the world.Let's just say she has probably had a positive impact on thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people and however she helped them, they would still be in a worse place without her.

6. Jan Fowler profile image61
    Jan Fowlerposted 7 years ago

This is a great question to ask but a tough question to answer. There are so many notable, courageous, infamous, famous, benevolent, and evil people that have made an impact on this world. I cannot put my finger on just one for there are so many.

7. Michael C. Hall profile image57
    Michael C. Hallposted 7 years ago

Former United States President Jimmy Carter: 

While he was incredibly unpopular when he was voted out of office and his presidency is widely considered a failure, the work he has done since he left office in 1981 has been far more significant and had a much greater impact for good than anything he did while president of the United States. He is considered by many the most successful "Former President" in American History.

It's hard to say how different the world would be if he'd never existed, but there is no doubt that the world would have been deprived of his generosity and good works and therefore be worse off had he never existed.

For more about my answer see my hub at http://hubpages.com/hub/Jimmy-Carter-Fo … ted-States

You can learn more about the Former President and his efforts at http://www.cartercenter.org

8. Jordan Hemmann profile image60
    Jordan Hemmannposted 7 years ago

Tblkjack, Alternative Prime, and Gary Rowell -- I would have to agree. Those three have each made an impact on the modern world, each in their own way.

Butch News and Tusitala Tom -- In regards to religion, I would combine both of your answers. Those who have been named "prophets" have caused more hatred and war in the world than anyone, but I believe that is only due to the reactions of their followers and adversaries.

Jan -- That's exactly why I asked it! It allows everyone to open up their minds and provide their true opinions. There are SO many historical figures that could be named, and I'd love to read everyone's thoughts. Plus, it could be a great place to create some civilized debate. smile Keep 'em coming!

9. Rob Hanlon profile image60
    Rob Hanlonposted 7 years ago

Name one person that you think has made a major impact on the world, good or bad.

I think everyone who ever lived,still living, and yet to be born, will have some impact upon the world though four people who have had a huge influence on everything since the 60's were The Beatles ~  John Lennon/Paul McCartney/Ringo Starr/George Harrison.

It's infinitely difficult to imagine what the World would have been like without The Beatles.

10. Biswajitsaikia profile image56
    Biswajitsaikiaposted 7 years ago

the person who invented "wheel". By inventing wheel he initiated civilisation. Invention of wheel is the most important incident in the history of civilisation, after the discovery of 'fire'... and everything else just followed...

11. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

Eddie Murphy, no one would know how to multi task as an actor if it wasn't for him and his many faces

12. Article Magick profile image59
    Article Magickposted 7 years ago

Muhammed Ali - The Greatest..;-)

Not just for his ability in the ring but also in his ability outside of it. He came from an era of superstars and is still seen as one of the biggest names of them all.. great question Jordan!

13. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

alexander graham bell. without his ideas we might not even be on here discussing things.

14. Mavis Nong profile image58
    Mavis Nongposted 7 years ago

Jesus Christ is the Greatest man that has ever lived on the earth!

working