jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you like black and white movies?

1. Don Ship profile image80
    Don Shipposted 7 years ago

Do you like black and white movies?

Why or why not?

2. profile image0
    EmmaHyattposted 7 years ago

I have to say that I don't see movies in terms of their colour. Except things like Clerks (filming in black and white due to budget restraints to do with lighting), black and white only existed because the technology to film colour wasn't invented back then. It wasn't until TV started to take off in 1954 that any time or money was actually spent investing in colour.

So to answer your question...yes I do! But only because I see the film not the colour or lack of it. In fact Casablanca one of my favourites is in black and white. I suggest watching Double Indemnity too, a fabulous black and white film. Chinatown is black and white too isn't it? Another fabulous film.

3. L a d y f a c e profile image78
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

Was just coming in to mention Casablanca and Clerks when lo and behold, someone already has! Indeed I like black and white films just as much as colour ones. Depends on if it's a good movie or not!

4. mandyf profile image67
    mandyfposted 7 years ago

I do love black and white movies...it makes me thnk of how simple times used to be

5. sturner1 profile image67
    sturner1posted 7 years ago

Those are my favorites. Some people say they don't like the black and white movies but when you think about it most of the movies from today are remakes with a different title. Back then actors new how to act, movies weren't full of subliminal advertisements, and directors were creative with their innuendos, instead of having random nudity and profanity out of nowhere like today.

6. SamiCaity profile image58
    SamiCaityposted 7 years ago

I think black and white movies are kind of romantic. No matter when they are made, they always make me think of old-time movies like Casablanca and It's A Wonderful Life. There's also so much a person can do with a black and white film. Schindler's List, for example, was, I think, one of the most powerful films I've ever seen, and the black and white made it even more powerful, because they were able to make the symbolism of the flames, and the little girl's red coat, and such stand out even more.