jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

Do you like watching old black and white films?

1. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 7 years ago

Do you like watching old black and white films?

2. Radioguy profile image60
    Radioguyposted 7 years ago

Yes, color should serve or have a purpose in the story. Black and white movies do a better job at creating mood, I think. Good question!

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

I love watching black and white movies.  As Radioguy wrote--it really does create mood.  I like black and white photos for the same reason.

4. Hyphenbird profile image90
    Hyphenbirdposted 7 years ago

Yes, I do. One can concentrate more on dialogue and acting without the color invading the senses. There is a place for color now certainly, but those old Bette Davis movies were amazing! And Wuthering Heights would not have the same impact if it were in color. The shadows are imposing, threatening and impressive.

5. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 7 years ago

I am fine with watching black and white films. They just have to have voice. For example, the Marx Brothers film "A Night at the Opera" is my favorite black and white film. A piece of history along with three men acting like idiots. Those are the classics.

6. IGiveInformation profile image64
    IGiveInformationposted 7 years ago

Nope if it as no color than it's not for me. I just feel sad when watching those.

7. profile image0
    CollBposted 7 years ago

No, unfortunately not any more.  I thought it might be a novelty now to watch black and white films - just seems to loose its splendour for me.  I can watch it for about 30 minutes but then I switch off!

It's incredible how technology has changed things so much!

8. angie ashbourne profile image60
    angie ashbourneposted 7 years ago

I have not watched an old film but In the 1960's our T.V. was black and white, I watched Star Trek in Black and White......I like colour

9. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 7 years ago

i love the old black and white movies, it seemed like every word mattered, the depth of every moment mattered,... i agree that the color can be distracting,... however i'm not sure but what the movies today arent just different,.. in the black and white age, they had to realy focus on light and shadow, and dialog, the plot mattered,... the words mattered,.. and i think it was specificaly because they did not have color at thier disposal to help tell the story,.... all the other componnants were that much more important because they lacked the tool of color,... some of the best movies ever were made when hollywood was making the transition to color and still treated the screene like they didnt have it yet.

perhaps fans of story and dialog like black and white films because the B/W movies highlighted what we find most important.

agreed,....... fantasic question!

i'm going to watch spencer tracy now,.... maybe father of the bride..... or,.. dont get me started!

10. scooterport profile image90
    scooterportposted 7 years ago

I enjoy old Bob hope movies. Abbott and Costello are also movies I enjoy. Surprisingly, I'm probably one of the few men that don't enjoy the Three Stooges strangely enough. Does anyone remember the old Blondie movies?

11. jpcmc profile image87
    jpcmcposted 7 years ago

Yes I do.   Gregory Peck was spectacular in To Kill A Mocking Bird.  Classic novel and a classic movie.  Read it. Seen it, Loved It.

12. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 7 years ago

Not generally, but I love Charlie Chaplin movies.

13. itsameanoldscene profile image61
    itsameanoldsceneposted 7 years ago

I watched a 1930's version of Les Miserables a month or so ago, what a brilliant film, well acted & great story.... I could not fault it & was a delight to watch...I enjoy watching 'Film Noir' also - far better than some of the garbage they churn out these days.

14. kamruluits profile image59
    kamruluitsposted 7 years ago

Yes they are awesome and extraordinary forever!

15. vintageglamour profile image61
    vintageglamourposted 6 years ago

in theory i do but i don't think i've ever really seen any.

i mean did see 'freaks' that was pretty crazy

working