jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What do the words BLACK & WHITE mean to you? These words have a deep sociologic

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What do the words BLACK & WHITE mean to you?  These words have a deep sociological,

sociocultural, sociopoltical, psychocultural, even psychological meaning?  What is your take on these loaded words?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12050651_f260.jpg

2. Melinda Longoria profile image82
    Melinda Longoriaposted 3 years ago

To me, black or white means that something is either right or wrong. There is no gray area. It's yes or no; not maybe.

3. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

When I hear the term I tend to think of rigidly held views, with "gray" being the more flexible and open-minded area.

4. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12051647_f260.jpg

On surf boards throughout Australia and no doubt the USA and parts of Europe you have the Asian symbol of Yin and Yang usually in stark black and white celebrating how we are all different but still all basically and profoundly human. Oh, and you find the Yin and Yang symbol in many, many other locales as well.

In terms of design a black cross on a white background is quite powerful and can be seen and recognized for some distance. The Jolly Roger, white skull and cross bones on a black background, can be seen some distance at sea. A few weeks ago I noticed an old sailing vessel in Sydney harbor sporting the Jolly Roger just for fun. The flag was small but it did stand out. 

There are artists who feel that the human form is best realized either as black on a white background or white on black background.

I grew up with black and white television and still enjoy some of the older shows in the black and white format. I have Doctor Who episodes in my collection from the days it was in black and white up to the present which is in color. I still very much treasure what I have of early Doctor Who and would dread seeing it in color because it harks back to my memories of black and white television. You could say my youth.

There are gangster movies from the '30s right up to the '50s that look great in black and white because this format gives them a grittiness and a sense of down-to-earth that I strongly suspect color would not. There is also Film Noir that works beautifully in black and white that might very well lose something in color.

I remember an episode of Star Trek (original) where you had these two men. One was completely black on the left side of the face and white on the other this meant he came from that race. The other man was completely white on the left side of the face and black on the other this meant he came from the other race. To the crew of the Enterprise there was no real difference in either man. This difference in physical make-up, however. was of great importance to both men and something you could destroy a planet over.

Some variations on the Harlequin mask illustrate the astonishing use of black on white or white on black for effect. There is also the half black and half white Harlequin mask to consider.

5. profile image54
    BrianRDposted 3 years ago

Black and White are great colors, and blend well to create gray. As for those in charge of the highways and byways, their is still a dysfunction since some are still on the mind set of the Jim Crowe era.

1. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes. There is still the black and white minstrel show to consider. It was on tele when I was young. It was toned down from what would have been staged but still basically racist.

2. profile image54
      BrianRDposted 3 years agoin reply to this

As long as their are people who can't forget their past, then the past will remain the present, and the future will not achieve a better life, than past mistakes.

6. Nigham AFZAL profile image75
    Nigham AFZALposted 3 years ago

White is something like pure, peace...and black? Well black is a mystery. It's no color actually.

working