What do the words BLACK & WHITE mean to you? These words have a deep sociologic

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What do the words BLACK & WHITE mean to you?  These words have a deep sociological,

sociocultural, sociopoltical, psychocultural, even psychological meaning?  What is your take on these loaded words?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12050651_f260.jpg

2. Melinda Longoria profile image78
    Melinda Longoriaposted 3 years ago

To me, black or white means that something is either right or wrong. There is no gray area. It's yes or no; not maybe.

3. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

When I hear the term I tend to think of rigidly held views, with "gray" being the more flexible and open-minded area.

4. Rod Marsden profile image73
    Rod Marsdenposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12051647_f260.jpg

On surf boards throughout Australia and no doubt the USA and parts of Europe you have the Asian symbol of Yin and Yang usually in stark black and white celebrating how we are all different but still all basically and profoundly human. Oh, and you find the Yin and Yang symbol in many, many other locales as well.

In terms of design a black cross on a white background is quite powerful and can be seen and recognized for some distance. The Jolly Roger, white skull and cross bones on a black background, can be seen some distance at sea. A few weeks ago I noticed an old sailing vessel in Sydney harbor sporting the Jolly Roger just for fun. The flag was small but it did stand out. 

There are artists who feel that the human form is best realized either as black on a white background or white on black background.

I grew up with black and white television and still enjoy some of the older shows in the black and white format. I have Doctor Who episodes in my collection from the days it was in black and white up to the present which is in color. I still very much treasure what I have of early Doctor Who and would dread seeing it in color because it harks back to my memories of black and white television. You could say my youth.

There are gangster movies from the '30s right up to the '50s that look great in black and white because this format gives them a grittiness and a sense of down-to-earth that I strongly suspect color would not. There is also Film Noir that works beautifully in black and white that might very well lose something in color.

I remember an episode of Star Trek (original) where you had these two men. One was completely black on the left side of the face and white on the other this meant he came from that race. The other man was completely white on the left side of the face and black on the other this meant he came from the other race. To the crew of the Enterprise there was no real difference in either man. This difference in physical make-up, however. was of great importance to both men and something you could destroy a planet over.

Some variations on the Harlequin mask illustrate the astonishing use of black on white or white on black for effect. There is also the half black and half white Harlequin mask to consider.

5. profile image53
    BrianRDposted 3 years ago

Black and White are great colors, and blend well to create gray. As for those in charge of the highways and byways, their is still a dysfunction since some are still on the mind set of the Jim Crowe era.

1. Rod Marsden profile image73
      Rod Marsdenposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes. There is still the black and white minstrel show to consider. It was on tele when I was young. It was toned down from what would have been staged but still basically racist.

2. profile image53
      BrianRDposted 3 years agoin reply to this

As long as their are people who can't forget their past, then the past will remain the present, and the future will not achieve a better life, than past mistakes.

6. Nigham AFZAL profile image73
    Nigham AFZALposted 3 years ago

White is something like pure, peace...and black? Well black is a mystery. It's no color actually.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)