jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

what is the most scary film and why?

1. profile image49
    oreo24posted 7 years ago

what is the most scary film and why?

2. FacetiousRemark profile image71
    FacetiousRemarkposted 7 years ago

I've watched a lot of horror films over the years and am getting increasingly fed up of empty frights and over the top monsters. The building of atmosphere seems to be a dying art. In this vein, the film that really set itself out from the others recently was Paranormal Activity. Incredibly low budget and low key and this is undoubtedly what made it so effective. What I particularly liked was the use of repetition -- returning to the bedroom every night, so that you would start to anticipate supernatural happenings, which only served to put you even more on edge. I think it was a wise choice to make it a demon rather than a plain old ghost. The perseverance of the entity, the growing violence of it, and the fact that ultimately nothing could be done about it made it quite terrifying.

3. Dachusblot profile image56
    Dachusblotposted 7 years ago

I agree - Paranormal Activity wins. What other movie builds the tension so much that something as simple as a door creaking can make everyone in the theater jump and scream like babies? And I can't remember any other movie that made me dread anything so much as I dreaded the scenes with the eerie night vision. Most horror films just make me laugh or groan, but this one did the trick.

4. ZoeReviews profile image49
    ZoeReviewsposted 7 years ago

texas chainsaw masaccree...can't bear to see someone's body slit in half and then salted on top of it....horrible

5. spookyfox profile image72
    spookyfoxposted 7 years ago

I don't get scared by a lot of films, but the ones that did the most are [REC] and A Tale of Two Sisters. Those are relatively recent, but some classics are also The Exorcist and The Shinning.

As to why they're scary, you'll just have to see them, but they're just done very well, building an atmosphere and not just relying on jumps and gore.

I'm about to rewatch A Tale of Two Sisters so I'll make a review of it.

working