jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the appeal of horror films?

1. TheBlondie profile image59
    TheBlondieposted 6 years ago

What is the appeal of horror films?

I've never understood why people enjoy watching people get killed...

2. crankalicious profile image94
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

If you can completely separate truth and fiction, then whatever happens in a fictional piece of work should not bleed over into reality. When I watch a horror film, it's exceptionally rare that I would be put off because it reminds me of reality. They're escapism. While some of us won't admit it, we all have a dark side that needs fulfillment. Horror films can do that.

There are lots of other reasons. I just classify them as entertainment and compartmentalize. It's very different from seeming somebody get hacked to death in real life. That's not an experience I ever want. The question almost implies horror fans would enjoy such a thing, but I think horror fans would be universal in their disdain for such a thing.

3. mr. daydream profile image58
    mr. daydreamposted 6 years ago

To get the hell scared outta U, which becomes harder 2 do after you start getting older. And like Crankalicious said, it's better to watch it on film (fiction), perferrably in a dark, crowded theater, instead of having to watch someone get butchered for real.

4. JenPsych profile image79
    JenPsychposted 6 years ago

It's a rush - especially in a movie theater with a good audience. It's a communal event and makes you feel connected to people, like a concert. No other movie genre can generate such a jolting emotional response - everyone simultaneously gasps, cringes, yells, and relaxes together. Plus, the psychological component of "could I outwit the bad guy/thing better than these fools?" definitely plays a part. After witnessing enough horror films, it suddenly feels as if you are immune to being tricked by haunts and hitchhikers.

working