jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Why do people enjoy violence in movies and video games?

1. Ludivine profile image60
    Ludivineposted 6 years ago

Why do people enjoy violence in movies and video games?

2. profile image0
    wendy87posted 6 years ago

because they do not watch it real life... and its human nature that ...the things which are rare often enjoyable

3. Sunny Barb profile image60
    Sunny Barbposted 6 years ago

Maybe people can use these tools to vent their frustrations in lieu of doing it in real life.

4. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 6 years ago

Because it is exciting although most things you don't want to have happen in real life so they play the video games.

5. The Reminder profile image75
    The Reminderposted 6 years ago

It's a way to free our mind. When I play a videogame, most of the time it lets me do what I cannot do in real life.

6. stuff4you profile image64
    stuff4youposted 6 years ago

yeah, its the natural attraction to things that are considered bad

7. DLicorish profile image60
    DLicorishposted 6 years ago

I've honestly never felt video games or movies were violent. Even when they have horrible depictions of torture (mostly movies in that case) or warfare, I feel like that isn't really the point. I'll admit that for some movies it is a point, but I dislike those. I watch movies for a story and whether it contains violence or not I'm good with it.

As a long time gamer it's a different story. I was playing Halo recently and i realized that in a regular situation, concentrating on shooting something in the head is considered violent, in the video games its not about violence, it's about skill and motor control, timing, the exhilaration of pitting your skills against something and winning.

On a final note I think I'll point out another aspect. In movies especially violence is not realistic. It ceases to be sickening and instead becomes ridiculous. Take any action movie, like James Bond, people liked those cause James was portrayed doing physical feats that are totally impossible for a regular person to do. This appeals to our sense of wonder and imagination

That was long, but I find this question very interesting... big_smile

8. Abhaque Supanjang profile image80
    Abhaque Supanjangposted 6 years ago

Because, actually, they wish to do them -- but owing to the condition that they are all crimes, they just do it by enjoying it from movies and video games.

9. Maxine Lee profile image64
    Maxine Leeposted 6 years ago

Escapism mainly - it's not real life, its very far from it. I think the argument that 'it's because they want to do those things in real life' is unfair. Some people would rather watch a Musical, it doesn't mean that they're going to (or want to) burst into song every time they open their mouth to speak.

10. yiasa profile image61
    yiasaposted 6 years ago

this is certainly because they enjoy those that most of the cases they are afraid to do or say they are eligible to do . That's why they fill up their thirst with others.