Should Grown Men still play video games?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 69 discussions (128 posts)
  1. profile image55
    Kiki 1012posted 12 years ago

I understand everyone needs a hobby or a past time, but should our adult males be playing video games more than our kids!!  I have an older brother, he doesn't have any kids, yet instead of doing something constructive he will play the game,PS3, from dusk til dawn.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree he could make better use of his time, but it is his choice.

What is "better use" anyway?  Some would say it is making money, some would say learning new things, some would say praying.

As Cags said, it is a choice.

2. profile image51
      A1phA137posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jane McGonigal, author of "Reality is Broken: How Video Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World" has stated that people should strive to play no more than 20 hours of video games per week. If your brother is exceeding those hours, then he should seriously consider cutting down.

Video games can be a great mental stimulant and hold a number of positive effects on a lifestyle, but only as long as they are played in moderation. The same can be said for all interests and hobbies. "All things in MODERATION."

On a personal note, I also feel that people should indulge themselves in as wide a variety of video game genres as possible. They game industry has more to offer than many realize.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with playing video games as long as it is done in MODERATION.

Also, playing games is a universal hobby and, as such are appropriate for all ages. Adults playing video games is not an abnormal thing.

As for what to do about your brother? I'm not sure, but here are a few  suggestions:
      - Try distracting him with other hobbies. Does he have any?
      - Have an intervention. Bring friends, make a party out of it!
      - Play with him. Maybe you're missing out.

3. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's a huge deal, so long as he keeps up with the other things in his life (work, family life, hygiene, etc.). My husband and I are both gamers, but we don't let it interfere with necessary things.

4. videogameviking profile image74
      videogamevikingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ideas about what is and isn't "constructive" are relative to each individual. What you consider constructive isn't what he considers constructive.  Like with most forms of entertainment, there are positive and negative things about video games.

We cannot control the lives of others; we are only able to control our own lives. Therefore, instead of focusing on other people and how to improve them; it is better to focus on how to improve ourselves. All people have both strengths and weaknesses.  I have found that embracing the positive qualities in others, allows for a greater understanding of them, and in essence a better relationship with them.

5. jaybird22 profile image69
      jaybird22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do not see anything wrong with it.  Everyone has their own way of unwinding and spending their down time doing what they enjoy.  If this is what adult males enjoy, then so be it.  Just because it might not match what your own ideas are doesn't mean that it is bad for all adult males.

There are far worse things men could be doing to pass the time.

6. taw2012 profile image60
      taw2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why not???? any one can play a video game regardless his age. smile

1. tonymead60 profile image83
        tonymead60posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it's no worse than fishing, or playng golf.

7. jenb0128 profile image90
      jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know lots of gamers, in fact, my husband and I met through out interest in gaming. My own gaming has slowed down quite a bit - every few months, I'll get the itch to play a video game, and then I'll play a couple hours every day for a few weeks, and then I won't play again for awhile. My husband still plays regularly, but usually just for an hour or two each day. Even his parents play video games together all the time (his mom is 67 and his dad is 75).

On the other hand, I've seen some people get extremely obsessive about it. My husband's former roommate was one of those guys. We rarely saw him come out of his room except to use the bathroom (he rarely even showered), and he ended up losing his job because he was too busy gaming to actually go in to work.

The vast majority of gamers I know are more like myself or my husband.  They spend a bit of their free time with it, much like somebody else might use the time to watch TV, read a book, or organize their stamp collection. As long as your brother doesn't play to the point of losing his job, failing school, destroying relationships or sacrificing hygiene, I'd say don't worry about it.

8. profile image51
      t41nt3d34673posted 10 years agoin reply to this

i find it funny that people say its not constructive so having the chance to make 100,000 gaming is not constructive that's probably more you make in a year and i can do that in a day just being a professional gamer with mlg

1. Express10 profile image85
        Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many people know that there are some gaming opportunities but many don't know how they can make money as professionals, many aren't worthy of earning anything from their gaming "skills" and some simply don't want to do that for a living. On the flip side there are some people/adults who allow playing games to become a detriment of other areas in their life and that often colors what people think of those who play video games or say that they are gamers.
        Heck, I know of a 43 year old man, a deadbeat father who would pay $50 or $60 on every new game but could never seem to contribute to his children's expenses. I heard complaints about him from a coworker blowing off steam on more than one occasion and she had to take him to court to force him to pay child support. Since they lived apart, he lived with his mom and didn't work or have a car, I doubt he even played the games with his children. The complaining mother said that the father of her children got the money for the games from his mom by saying he was buying things for the children. Gasp!
        Playing games is okay as long as it's not to the detriment of any other areas of one's life.

9. tonymead60 profile image83
      tonymead60posted 7 years agoin reply to this

the amount of time people have taken to read and answer this question, some in great length, they could have played a couple of levels of Witcher is that any different.

10. tommylop profile image76
      tommylopposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Majority of gamers are now above 30 and no it's not wrong to be a gamer and enjoy the hobby. That said if he's enjoying it from dusk to dawn he's not getting out, he's not socializing, and he might have other problems that need to be look into that could actually give him game addiction. I would research things like ADHD and Autsim and make sure he's not suffering from those, and if he is seek treatment.

11. Let-freedom-rigng profile image60
      Let-freedom-rigngposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That may be a bit much, but I can think of much worse things that he could be doing.

1. poppyr profile image92
        poppyrposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. He's not harming anyone by playing video games.

12. poppyr profile image92

Since there are thousands of games out there strictly for adults, I would say there is no limit on playing video games. It's no worse than watching TV. In fact, I'd say games are better because it helps your problem-solving skills and hand-eye coordination. I might write a Hub about this.

1. poppyr profile image92

Meant to say no AGE limit*

2. profile image36
        Sean Harrisonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Poppy, as a gamer myself, I completely agree with you.  However, television does have two major advantages.  First, it is easier to do something constructive while watching TV.  I, for instance, often clean my apartment while watching TV (especially once it's become too late to listen to music).  In addition, TV doesn't have the same addictive quality of video games.  The only more addictive hobby I can think of would be the internet, but that's only because with the internet there's so much more to do.  Of course, I'm not even counting anything illegal in that assertion.

13. Anthony Edeline profile image61
      Anthony Edelineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't see the big problem on adults playing video games. I mean there are some exceptions, but playing video games keep tons of people outta trouble. Essentially playing video games are becoming more of a trend in the world now

14. Yash Tamhane profile image60
      Yash Tamhaneposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I mean why wouldn't a grown-up man play video games, now gaming has become a large thing that nobody can bring down. E-sports has became a major sporting event in world

15. TimArends profile image88
      TimArendsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

For those of you who think that there's nothing wrong with playing video games, you should know that 5 states now disagree with you, at least if you play on the "wrong" type of machine.

According to Niche Gamer on Tuesday (July 27), the California Energy Bill recently went into effect, preventing consumers from buying high-end, pre-built gaming personal computers (PCs). Washington, Vermont, Hawaii, Colorado, and Oregon have joined California in banning these products in their states, as well. Gaming consoles are exempt from this law.

This is wrong on so many levels. First, watching TV and running just a few extra lights in your house at the same time burns up more electricity than game PCs. Secondly, why ban certain types of gaming machines and not others? Thirdly, gaming PCs can and are often used to create CGI animations. run a side business, edit videos and more.

I see this as just a case of these leftist states thumbing their noses at certain people and certain activities they dislike and can't otherwise control.

1. Lilly Turner profile image61
        Lilly Turnerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

How about leave people and their lives alone? Each ADULT person decides by themselves what to do or not

16. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It's a choice.

1. jcmayer777 profile image64
        jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I'm not a gamer, but it's not that bad of a thing to do.  No, it's not constructive, but it's a form of entertainment that really doesn't harm anyone else.

There are plenty of worse things an adult male could be out doing.

2. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

I think it is ok to play video games as an adult but I do not think it should be a top priority.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

I am an adult male that plays video games.  There are many games in which I gain knowledge such as sim games.

Simcity for example will give the person a good idea of the responsibilities that local governments need to be responsible for maintaining.

1. profile image55
          Kiki 1012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a gamer, what exactly is a sim game?

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
            Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It simulates different activities.

Sim city creating and running a city.

Sim Safari  create and run an animal habitat.

etc....

4. profile image55

I agree with MTSI1098 it shouldn't be a top priority.  Some people take it too far now a days with all the violent games and even games where you have to commit felonies to win the game.  I just dont get it, but as someone mentioned it is a choice.

5. Eranofu profile image64
        Eranofuposted 12 years ago

Why only males? Guess something else is troubling with your brother, i.e., things you might want him to do but he doesn't. Video games is a nice way how to spend ones free time. Discussing video games here or with him won't inspire him to do something constructive.
        And, since violence got on the table - how about actors that play killers, how about all the stuff that is in the Bible? Sane people know the difference of fictional and real violence very well.

1. profile image55

This doesn't just apply to males, if there are female "gamers" out there.  I'm not saying there's something wrong with video games I'm just saying when you reach a certain age, video gaming shouldn't be so much a daily activity.  My brother was just an example he's grown he can do his own thing; that's the point he's grown plenty of things to do.

1. mattforte profile image87
            mattforteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why? You still haven't said why it shouldn't be a daily activity.
            Watching TV is a daily activity of 99% of Americans. Why not target that?

6. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

it is a good past time but then when it reaches the point where you sacrifice some important things which you should be doing just to play, then it becomes bad. I have some friends complain that their husbands play too much and they are worrying about family time. Moreso it could be bad physically and mentally when it eats up most of your time, like the one husband whose wife tries to sell at craiglist. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500202_162- … raigslist/

7. j-u-i-c-e profile image93
        j-u-i-c-eposted 12 years ago

I don't think that age or gender has anything to do with it. I don't think there's anything wrong with games. They're a medium, like books or movies. They're still maturing, so a lot of people don't take them seriously, but there's no reason why a game can't be every bit as intelligent and enlightening as War and Piece or Schindler's List. (Eventually, there will be 'games' like this.) People don't usually complain about people who spend too much time watching movies or reading books.

The problem is whether or not the amount of time you spend playing games (or anything else) is interfering with your other responsibilities. Also, don't forget that the fact that a grown man spends his time playing video games doesn't mean he'd spend more time with the family if they didn't exist. Would you rather he go out for drinks with the guys and watch football?

8. mattforte profile image87
        mattforteposted 12 years ago

Are you a grown woman? Do you watch television?

News flash - video games stimulate your brain far more than sitting in front of the tube.
        I'm a 30 year old male. I grew up on video games. They're a good pass time. Some people buy lots of DVD's..I spend less money on average on games than those people do on DVD's.

It can also be seen like this:
        Some people spend a lot of time hiking in the mountains. They do this because it makes them happy. Some people play video games, because it makes them happy.
        Personally, I like to do both. Some people are more extreme one way or the other. If they're happy, who are you to judge?

Furthermore, who cares about the content of the games? So you commit a "crime" in a video game...it's a game. It's not real life. Many of the best movies involve violence. Hasn't hurt me one bit. I'm a fully functional adult male. I take care of my girl, hell I even do the cooking in my house. Let people enjoy their lives.

1. profile image55

Yes I am a grown woman and you may just be one of those grown men who spend way too much time playing video games if you're upset. I never said it's not a good past time nor that it doesn't stimulate your mind because there are some that do just that; work you out too! The point is the amount of time one spend playing the game!

I threw in the content because some of it is really unnecessary, that's just how I feel.  I like video games, but I also have kids that play them.  I'm not downplaying video games, its's the adults who have adult things to do but they'll spend their time playing a game.

And to you that's fine but it seems to me you're a little to defensive about the subject so I think you may be exactly the type I'm speaking of.

Thanks for your imput.

1. mom101 profile image60
            mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kiki

I'm coming into this late, but still I would like to say I am a mother of a now young adult. He plays video games. Constantly.

I have to say as a mom, I would like for him to do other thngs, one being get a job. He just finished high school. Which by the way, the past 13 years of his life have been pure hell because of school. Unlike many others, he has stayed away from drugs and alcohol and that I am so thankful for, but, the games he plays, have helped to make him a very strong minded individual. I truly believe games are a great thng to help to "fine tune" parts of the brain. I will help the player to develop much stronger thinking capabilities, which in turn will help him or her to make a more balanced choice or a better decision when faced with the need to do so.

He has been tormented at school and home is where he feels secure. I can't take that away from him. Mentally, he is rock solid. Physically, hes a bit overweight.

But to answer your question, no, there is nothing wrong with playing video games.

Oh, I learned to drive by riding a riding lawnmower.  He learned to drive by playing grand theft auto. and I gotta say, he is a safer driver than me.

9. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 12 years ago

Is watching TV series like Lost, Desperate Housewives, Young & Restless, Glee and other drama series that involve extra marital affairs adds anything constructive in life ?

1. profile image55

I don't watch those.

2. mattforte profile image87

Word. Don't forget Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant! Those shows have stellar ratings. Clearly there are hordes of women out there rotting away in front of the television watching morons make morons of themselves on TV. Because *that's* constructive.

1. profile image55

Look I don't watch that crap either! I'm not talking about a couple hours out of the day I'm speaking of if this is an all day thing then that's a problem.  You may not have seen but i have, and that's my opinion of it.

10. profile image55

I see there are a few gamers who've taken my post the wrong way or maybe I put it wrong, either way the point is not playing video games as an adult it's how much time you spend playing it.  I can agree games are fun, stimulating, and a great way to get a workout now a days.  What I'm saying is I have seen guys who do nothing but sit around and play video games online/with friends all day long. To me there is something wrong with a grown ass man that sits around with a bunch of guys playing madden, call of duty, etc. all day long.  That's just my opinion.

11. mattforte profile image87
        mattforteposted 12 years ago

Why? It's a bunch of guys hanging out having fun. Grown people sit around watching TV all day.

What do you do all day?

I'm hardly "one of those types", I'm simply a person who gets irritated when certain people put down other people's hobbies with no tangible reason other than "It doesn't seem right". If you read my first hub - I'm clearly in great physical shape. I have to physically subdue people larger than me on a pretty regular basis. So even if I were "one of those types" clearly it isn't hurting me.
        I suppose you'd rather have your brother out on the streets, dealin' drugs and pimpin hoes while he and "da boyz"  stealing from stores, getting apprehended by "people like me".
        If I were "one of those types" I probably wouldn't have a non-gamer girlfriend. Moreover, she probably wouldn't have gotten me  the PS3 that she got for me this Christmas.

I ask again, do you watch TV? You answered my first question, ignored the second.

1. profile image55

First off I didn't say gaming was a bad hobby.  I don't think it wrong for a man to play video games, but I do feel if that's all you do, then that's a problem.  Second of all why would I want my brother to do any of that dumb crap you mentioned, that's just stupid!!  Furthermore gaming is fine but if it's the first thing you do when you wake up and the last thing you do before you go to bed, that's a problem in my opinion. I used my brother as an example because he does play the game a lot, but he also has no responsibility outside of himself so he can do that if he please, who am I to judge.  It was just a poll of what others thought about this craze so you can like my opinion or not. Either way I don't care.

Correction I didn't ignore your question I just didn't answer it, but yes I watch TV and I play the game from time to time. I never said there was something wrong with a game. I don't think there's something wrong with men playing video games but again I say I do believe some spend way too much time gaming.

12. AshtonFirefly profile image68
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

I think it's about balance. As long as their playing the video game does not cause them to neglect their responsibilities, then why not? But that's the case with any activity we pursue: balance. Making sure that it doesn't cause us to neglect important things.
          So other than it probably giving someone possible eyesight problems later (if they sit too close to the screen like my significant other/videogame fanatic boyfriend does), I don't see why it would be a bad thing. smile

13. tlpoague profile image82
        tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

There does have to be a balance with it. I live with what some people call a "gaming family". Nearly every member of my family, from the 68 year old male to the 2 year old tot, plays games together. We also use them as a way to keep in contact with each other. My husband used it as a tool for teaching our children socialization, responsibilies, economics, and how to deal with hard knocks that life will hand you. We have felt that the sooner the children start getting educated, the better. I have played a few games, but I can't play for a long period of time or certain games, because I get motion sickness. Instead, I read or write for hours on end. I have always looked at it as...if I am reading for hours, why can't my family play games for hours. As long as the work gets done and no one is neglected, it is ok.

+1

2. profile image55

I'm all for that, I'm speaking of grown people who sit around and just play games.  As you mentioned as long as works gets done, that's all well and good.

14. TheMagician profile image88
        TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

I think they definitely should play video games! Nobody is ever too old for some gaming. As an 18 year old female "gamer" myself (I use the term lightly because I'm not one to rush out and grab the latest version of MW3, though I do totally understand it and am quick to get specific games myself), I think games are great.

I live with two of my best friends (one of them my 21 year old boyfriend) and me and my boyfriend play video games a ton. It's a great way to spend time together, and it's even better when we're feeling competitive and I kick his *** at Mortal Kombat lol

I don't think I could ever date a guy who didn't at least like video games a LITTLE. Total deal breaker right there tongue

1. profile image55

I guess I posted wrong.  I know games are fun I'm just saying I have seen some guys who spend way too much time playing them

15. Mikeydoes profile image43
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

Video Games are the future and will be a main source of income and learning in the future for many if not most people.

All simulations and other things can be made into video games, where in turn those men and women can execute what they learned on the field. Currently I can't say that it is that great, but our army DOES use the XBOX controller to control a robot to take out IEDs(bombs in the ground).

To say that a kid should play World of Warcraft or Modern Warfare 3 all day is probably not the best way to spend your time however. At least not right now, he really should limit his time playing, but to say quitting video games altogether would be asinine. In those games I have learned a lot of guns and strategy and many other things. I've learned how to be a leader and I've learned from people better than me.

There is a lot of good to come out of video games, just moms and dads that work their ASSES off on a daily basis don't see it.

16. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

I have never played a video game in my life and wouldn't know where to start. I do, however, bet the horses every day and presume that is an equivalent "Recreational" pursuit... With my luck, I would probably be a lot cheaper buying and learning to play video games!! lol

17. moiragallaga profile image77
        moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

The key is how much time is spent on it and if it affects other aspects of life, such as work, time with family, responsibilities, chores, etc. Otherwise, it's really okay. My husband (who is in his early 40s) loves to play video games. It's his way of relaxing and decompressing from pressure at work or finding relief from the daily grind. My son loves to play video games, and playing video games is one way how his dad and him get to bond with each other.

Following the dictum that if you can't beat them, join them, I ended up learning how to play video games too. My husband, our son and I spent a lot of great and enjoyable moments playing coop on games such as the Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate series that allows up to four players to play cooperatively on the campaign mode. It's a pity they hardly make games like that anymore where families can sit together and play a campaign on coop mode on one console. We had lots of fun doing that.

18. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

depends on which games lol

1. profile image55

smile

19. tevans370 profile image60
        tevans370posted 12 years ago

I think it's kinda weird seeing older adults playing video games. I am 20 years old, and I do not play video games. My step dad, on the other hand, plays almost every day.

20. Len Cannon profile image88
        Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

I find it even stranger seeing grown adults posting on internet message forums on their fancy computing toys.

21. giftedwriter86 profile image60
        giftedwriter86posted 12 years ago

i think that as long as a game doesn t affect the every day things that a person does, and or personal relationships, then it is ok. However once it crosses that then there needs to be a line drawn!

22. That Grrl profile image73
        That Grrlposted 12 years ago

Unless there is something else he isn't getting done that he had planned to do, I don't see why playing video games is so terrible. People can become addicted to games but if that isn't the case I don't think video games are better or worse than most hobbies.

23. Jeff Berndt profile image74
        Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

Well, should adults play Monopoly? Checkers? Chess? Risk? Dungeons and Dragons? Should adults dress up in costume and play soldier on the weekends? Many do.

If they aren't bothering you, and aren't making other people's lives miserable, who cares?

24. Richard Craig profile image60
        Richard Craigposted 12 years ago

What's wrong with 'grown men' playing video games?  It's a huge industry, like the movie industry.  You'll often find movie stars in games these days. 
        There are many games that are made for a mature audience, the most obvious example being Grand Theft Auto.  Others like LA Noire, Resistance 2&3, Red Dead Redemption, FEAR etc are not for children so who else is going to play them?

I think, like everything else, too much can be unhealthy.  Maybe you should point him towards HubPages if he needs something 'constructive'.

My dad turned 50 2 months back but you try stopping him playing Madden NFL, lol

1. profile image55

I don' think it's wrong for someone who's gaming if they are still handling their business.  If you spend majority of your time on a game system and that's not how you make your money, I think it's really childish, but I mean to each's own. It is a choice.

1. Dwayne Bunkley profile image58
            Dwayne Bunkleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well it seems you brother may have some things to work on with his life, but to admonish someone who plays video games as a primary hobby simply because it's childish, is childish in and of itself. I guarantee if someone played sports all day, or played an instrument all day that wouldn't put up any red flags for you. Your mindset is stuck in the days of "Video Games are only for children" even though you didn't say that , your point of view says it all to clearly. So long as it doesn't interfere with a responsibilities there should be no problem.

25. profile image0
        zEric7xposted 12 years ago

I enjoy playing video games very much and I DO NOT intend to stop anytime soon if ever.

26. MissE profile image78
        MissEposted 12 years ago

That's a little much, but I'm glad my husband plays some games.  Men are hard to buy gifts for!  I know he'll like a game better than a sweater at least!

27. Max Dalton profile image83
        Max Daltonposted 12 years ago

Like some other people have said, you have to handle your business before you can play games. It's not a big deal as long as he's getting everything else done that he needs to get done. That being said, I think being a casual gamer can evolve into an addiction for some people and become a very serious problem, so people need to be careful.

28. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 12 years ago

The Video games industry is worth way more than the movie industry and playing video games is a skill that can be used to make money out of. From reviewing games or testing games as a games tester.

Usually there are those who just play the games as a form of entertainment and then there are those who carve a career out of immersing themselves in video games.

So long as you are having fun doing both or one then that's all that matters!

29. Pikachusif profile image61
        Pikachusifposted 12 years ago

Well, I feel that they have the choice to do it, and that everyone should have the right to enjoy an activity that is not harming anyone in a blunt manner. However, I understand that moderation should come into 'play, just as responsibility should.
        But, if you are just playing a video game, then it is quite alright with me.

-The Yellow Blur, Pikachusif

30. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
        Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I play video games, I'm an MW3 girl all the way. My husband plays as well, in fact that's how we met, playing Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow on the original Xbox. So needless to say, video games are a HUGE part of our lives. I can easily spend a day playing MW3.

The reason I'm posting this, is because I'm actually irritated by those who say video gaming is an addiction. I'm not saying anyone here has said that. I'm just making a blanket statement about people who think that way. I actually saw an episode of Addiction that was all about a 21 or 22 yr old man playing video games all day and they did an intervention and sent him to a REHAB center. Guess what he still plays video games. It's a hobby, not an addiction. Honestly, my opinion is that if someone plays video games so much that other responsibilities like work, and family suffer, eventually something will happen (ie lose their job, get evicted, lose the family etc)and that will be their own fault. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. The people who spend all day gaming don't bother me, the people who try to tell the gamer they have a problem bother me, because it's really none of their business. But that's just my opinion.

Now that I think about it, this may make a good hub! lol

31. andromida profile image57
        andromidaposted 12 years ago

Grown men are developing video games, not 14 year old kids. So, there is no problem with a grown man who love playing video games

32. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 12 years ago

when you think you yourself ( and nobody else should be telling you this ) are doing anything compulsively - like video games - then you only have to ask yourself one question:  "Do I have the time right now for this?"  If your answer is no, and you still can't back away, then you MAY be addicted or avoiding something or whatever.  But for others to tell you no, isn't really going to help you.  I have some compulsive stuff I do, and no, I can't always back off from it, so I know whereof I speak.  Good luck to any of you who get all up on your hind legs when someone suggests there might be other things you could and should be doing  - I know how that goes, too!  Video games, like video gambling, is calculated to pull you in - you have to be strong to not get trapped at least for awhile by them.  But in the end, its you who gets untrapped, if you need to.

33. profile image58
        HollowMan88posted 12 years ago

Well coming from a grown man who plays video, the only time I see its a problem is when that guy is spending more time with then his game then with his wife/girlfriend/family.

34. janesix profile image59
        janesixposted 12 years ago

Why do you think its any of your business what your brother does in his spare time? Maybe you have control issues.

35. Express10 profile image85
        Express10posted 12 years ago

You got me started on this one. I know grown adult males who do this to the detriment of other areas of their lives. Many of these same adult males have other responsibilities that they don't have the money to take care of because they're spending $60 or more buying every game that comes on the market. I am talking about grown men, some whom have children and some who live with their parents and have NEVER lived on their own.

I think that men, women, and children can play (video) games at any age. It's been proven that it can improve hand eye coordination and some people enjoy playing with family or friends. Playing video games is fun. But, I don't think that a person of any age should be playing every single day or for several hours at a time because in extreme cases other areas of your life can fall by the way. There are many other things in life to do, most important, getting up off your duff and away from the computer or t.v. There are some people who take it too far in the wrong direction.

36. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 12 years ago

Yes! But only when the Womens list of demands have been met via a large post it note stuck on the refridgerator.

37. jennzie profile image71
        jennzieposted 11 years ago

My 31 yr old boyfriend does. He is obsessed with getting as many achievements as he possibly can in a game and enjoys his gamer websites.

As long as it doesn't turn into an unhealthy obsession, such as he hardly pays attention to you because he is always playing, his focus on his job is affected by it, etc. than it is ok. It's just what a lot of guys like to do for fun.

38. Raziel117 profile image60
        Raziel117posted 11 years ago

It could be worse. They could be living balls deep a bottle of whiskey. True, Grown men like myself do spend a lot of time playing video games, but what else is there to do. We're men, talking isn't exactly our strong point and constructive ideas sound more like chores than activities. We prefer to delude ourselves with the illusion that we are somehow superior through meaningless minor victory.

mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed with the above two. As a child I was never criticized for playing too much sorry, aggravation, or monopoly. The only dif with video games is that they're on a screen...and lots more fun.

Maybe we should all give up video games and spend hours every day at the bar or brothel.

39. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

Not only grown men, but everybody should play video games.

40. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 11 years ago

I can't believe y'all are still discussing this!  "Grown" men - as if there were any!

1. Disturbia profile image61
          Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL lol lol

2. jenb0128 profile image90
          jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eh, being "grown" is overrated!

41. Awannagot profile image59
        Awannagotposted 11 years ago

I think its fine for a grown man to play video games. My husband, dad, and unlce all play,and I do too. Its one way for all of us to spend sometime together.

42. Willsummerdreamer profile image65
        Willsummerdreamerposted 11 years ago

It ain't that big of a deal. Video games are just like any other hobby, so long as they don't go nuts about it. That's what I think anyway.

43. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years ago

I have a friend who is in his early 20s with a wife and child. He loves video games like most guys his age, but he doesn't want them to come between him and his family so he plays for a few hours at night after they go to bed. He refuses to play during the day when he's home with his daughter, unwilling to give their time together away. I really respect that self control.

44. Soul Man Walking profile image60
        Soul Man Walkingposted 11 years ago

No, they mess with your arthritis.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you close your fb acct?

1. Soul Man Walking profile image60
            Soul Man Walkingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did. How did you know?

Too many weirdos showing up . . . Middle Eastern radicals, Republicans, Democrats, neo-pagans and neurotic women! They never let me get my name right, anyway. The only reason I went on there was to increase traffic to my sites for art and writing. I don't think it is cost effective to spend too much time on it. There is something funky about all of the "likes" and all the constant advertising. Sensory overload!

2. Greekgeek profile image77
          Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can attest to that one. *%#@! realtime controls. I predict that in about 20 more years, the original generation of game designers will discover what some of us have gone through for years, and we'll be back to genteel, chess-like, turn-based strategy games and point-and-click exploration games like MYST and RIVEN.

Some of the assumptions that have appeared in this thread -- all video games are violent, "grown men" -- are so far ouside my experience of middle-aged academic women who use gaming as a form of social bonding, like geeking over a favorite TV show crossed with weekly bowling, that I can't help chuckling.

45. Souther29 profile image81
        Souther29posted 11 years ago

It's a bit of escapism and can be enjoyed by any age I think as long as balanced with other things in your life.

46. theherbivorehippi profile image64
        theherbivorehippiposted 11 years ago

I think that if you are that worried about how he spends his time then you have far too much free time on your hands, and need to get a hobby yourself. Let him do what makes him happy, and you focus on what makes you happy. Who cares how old he is?

47. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Just a general societal comment...

The world is so full of all sorts of different kinds of knowledge to explore. There is literally some area or facet of knowledge that would be highly interesting to each and every individual. If only everyone would find their unique area of interest, and pursue that instead... Before they knew it, they'd have a career.

1. bredandagnes profile image63
          bredandagnesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My husband and two grown sons still play video games, but they always play together.Its their bonding and sharing time -they take turns and support each other,and they talk and laugh constantly.I think its fantastic-the only downside is that occasionally they can get carried away and loose track of time-then I have to yell!!!!!!!!!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

From a civil rights standpoint, as far as I'm concerned, a person can play tiddlywinks 10 hours a day if they want to. My other post was more of a societal lament. I hope our education system still tries to expose students to as many areas of knowledge as possible, so that students have more of a chance of discovering that all-consuming area of interest. smile

48. taylorgang profile image35
        taylorgangposted 11 years ago

A great deal of my friends play games a ton.  It's crazy to imagine spending as much time as they do playing these video games.  My brother was a part of it.  I almost feel bad for them. 

That said, there is nothing wrong with playing video games, much like anything else, in moderation.  The majority of people I know that play video games definitely do not do it in moderation.  At its peak these guys were doing it 50+ hours a week.  Chasing and shooting down little digital men 50+ hours a week just seems absurd to me, but you know, as everyone else has said, to each his own.

1. profile image57
          Exsosusposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what Tailorgang wrote.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)