jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

In many of their movies...does Hollywood try to rewrite history?

1. itsameanoldscene profile image60
    itsameanoldsceneposted 6 years ago

In many of their movies...does Hollywood try to rewrite history?

Vikings with horns on their helmets? Glorifying Robin Hood? The story of German U-Boat U571? & no doubt many more!!

2. ComfortB profile image88
    ComfortBposted 6 years ago

Yes, I believe they do try to rewrite history. There's nothing as interesting and captivating to an audience like trying to tell a familiar story by giving them a version of what you think could have been.
    As you may have noticed, most every Hollywood love story ends with "and they lived happily ever after", even though the true story they were based on didn't end well. Stories like Romeo and Juliet(Gnomeo & Julliet) and Othello.

3. SpiderBytes profile image87
    SpiderBytesposted 6 years ago

I remember when "Season of the Witch" came out and people were complaining that there was all this incorrect stuff in it about the Crusades. I thought that was a little silly on a movie that was just supposed to be about a witch, But it is a bit different when a movie is supposed to be based on a specific person or thing in history. When the primary focus of a movie is someone like Robin Hood or a historic event that actually happened, the basic facts should at least be kept straight. But Hollywood is always willing to sacrifice fact for a better story regardless of how much it distorts history.

4. mcrawford76 profile image84
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

Yes they do, but I'd like to think that I can separate those that are works of fiction that take historical liberties, and those that are meant to be factual and simply get it wrong.

5. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

Absolutely, with some exceptions they all take artistic license with historical films. Some examples are films like Gladiator, The Patriot, and above all the latest Pearl Harbor. These changes are often for plot development and are other-wise fairly accurate but one like the latter are an insult to the men and women who fought and suffered in them.

working